1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New front shocks

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Burkartsplow, Nov 14, 2008.

1. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

I am going to put new front shocks on my 04 chevy 2500HD and I wanted to see if you guys had any suggestions on what ones I should go with. thanks
  2. JCI Trans

JCI Trans Senior Member

I went with Bilsteins all around. Great ride anf long warranty. I bought mine from www.kennedydiesel.com. If you have the torsion bars cranked a few turns like i do let them know and they will include 1/2" stainless steel spacers to put on the upper mounting bolt, dropping the shock down a bit to prevent bottoming out and damaging the shock. All in all a very easy install...good luck!
  3. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I have Bilsteins on one of my trucks and I like them also.
  4. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

Go with the 5100 series Bilsteins, much better ride than the yellows and look better too.
  5. Doom & Gloom

Doom & Gloom Senior Member

I use Pro Comp ES9000 Gas Shocks, they are Nitrogen and have a Lifetime Warranty. Very good Shock. They use a 5/8 size shaft also. Just my $0.02
  6. mikelawtown

mikelawtown Senior Member
    from Mass

Im also looking for 4 for my 02 2500..dont need the best nor crazy 4 wheelin ones, just a decent shock.....Thanks
  7. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

aint got that kind of money ,go for monroe reflex !
  8. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

I used bilstein on mine as they cam factory. Plus I tried the cheap gabrials from autozone and ended up blowing one. Autozone can get the Bilstein for around $60 each....
  9. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

the bilstein that are yellow and blue, or the the 5100 that r silver and black
  10. Doom & Gloom

Doom & Gloom Senior Member

The Pro Comp's are only $40 each
  11. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

Yellow and blue......
  12. Gerry125

Gerry125 Senior Member

bilstein 5100's
  13. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Burk do a search here in the Chevy forum...there's a couple good threads on shock choices already.

But you wouldn't be at all disappointed with the 5100 Bilstein's or Edelbrocks. ;)
  14. tras

tras Member

Bilstein without question.

Have them on my 06 crew cab long box duamax and on my 05 ext. cab short box gasser(have had three sets on this truck, with different lifts each time, truck is stock size now).
  15. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

they still use bilstiens i like em
  16. 70monte

70monte Senior Member

What are the differences between the Bilstein yellow and blue HD's and the Bilstein 5100's? I'm looking at replacing the original shocks on my 98 K3500 which I believe are Heavy duty shocks.

17. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The specific differences are mainly in the valving Wayne. The yellows are the "cookie cutter" line. And the 5100's are more vehicle specifically valved/tuned. Which is why you find that most guys prefer the 5100's if they've had both.
  18. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

Don't have the money for Bilsteins ,,,,Monroe...Magniums work just fine...For me
  19. 70monte

70monte Senior Member

Thanks for the info. I have Bilstein HD's on my 98 K1500 Z71 and they were a vast improvement over the factory "comfort ride" Bilsteins. They probably have around 70,000 miles on them and are still very firm. I'll have to look into the 5100's for the K3500.

20. 70monte

70monte Senior Member

I just went to Bilstein's website and from what I can gather, the 5100 series shock is for lifted trucks. I could not find a stock height application for my 98 K3500 in the 5100 series. The only shock offered was the HD series of shocks.