1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New from NY

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Savesutime09, Jan 17, 2010.

1. Savesutime09

Savesutime09 Junior Member

I have the choice of getting a 2006 f150 extended cab or a 2005 Silverado crew cab. I want to know of the 2 which would be the better choice for plowing. I know a 3/4 ton is a better choice but at this time i don't have that option. I will be doing residential primarily. any imput would be greatly appreciated.

2. Lugnut

Lugnut Senior Member

Crew cab will be long for driveways, the extended cab will be a better choice in that aspect. I use a reg cab 2500 for driveways and wouldn't want anything longer. Where in orange county are you from?
  3. Savesutime09

Montgomery, I'm going to use this vehicle as my landscape trailer puller in the summer and as general use so I need the crew cab. Hope to be able to buy just a plow truck for next winter but need to have the option of putting a plow on this one. hopefully I can get enough accounts to accomplish this.
  4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Welcome and the "search" function is your friend.
    I have used both ext cab and crew cab......I have a crew now and won't ever go back to ext.
  5. Lugnut

Lugnut Senior Member

Well the best truck for doing driveways would be which ever has the shorter wheelbase and better turning radius. A crew cab,although not ideal, will work, and if it suits your other needs better go for it, especially if you're planning on getting another plow truck next year. Good luck with it, and btw I live in New Windsor, plow there, Newburgh and Cornwall
  6. Savesutime09

Thanx Lugnut. Do you do Lawn Care as well? Could use some friendly advise if u are willing? What type of plow would u recommend?
  7. Lugnut

Lugnut Senior Member

Yea, lawn care and landscaping is the biggest part of the business, I'd be happy to help you however I can, give me a call sometime 845 494 9225. I know someone with a used 7'6 western in real good shape for sale, he's a local garage/plow dealer. I can find out if he still has it if your interested, I believe it would be around $3000 installed. I would have put it on my 1500 but decided not to put a plow on that truck. Pretty much any of the popular brands are good, such as fisher, western, boss, and even meyer if you're plowing with a 1500. The meyers are a little lighter than the other 3. Figure out which has features you like the best and what you can get a good deal on.
  8. fireboy6413

fireboy6413 Senior Member

welcome to plow site, im down in Rockland, if you have any questions dont hesitate to ask
  9. AbsoluteH&L

AbsoluteH&L Senior Member

Be patient he only has 3 posts, cant do that till 10.

Welcome to the site! I would go with the Ford but that is just brand preference for me. The shorter the truck the better for plowing, especially with residential. and for plows I run Meyer, but again that is just my choice. I have had Westerns in the past too.
  10. Savesutime09

I am just getting started and want to leave my full time job, but am concerner I can compete with the big boys. I want to get business, but don't want to be a low baller. any suggestions? There is a lot of competetion in the area and hope I can attract business.
  11. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

being that winter is half over your best bet is to look at who is not being serviced in a timely manor after this next storm and attempt to get them.
  12. AbsoluteH&L

AbsoluteH&L Senior Member

Personally I would keep the job for now and just try to land some new accounts like Grn Mnt said. A full time job is something to hold on to these days. Start slow, don't jump in to fast. I know a few local guys that got a little to big to quick, and had to sell stuff this year just to stay in the game. Debt sucks!
  13. chasity2682

chasity2682 Member
    from canada

I started My company last year and I still have my job. I think I will hold it for another year. Like absolute said a full time job is something to hold on to just in case. Things don't always work out as planned. Good luck
  14. Pushin 2 Please

Pushin 2 Please PlowSite Veteran

Crew cab would be just fine. Just take your time and plow at your pace. O, and by the way don't put a Meyer on it, go with a Western or Boss. Meyer is nothing but trouble. Good luck.
  15. Savesutime09

Thanx for all the advise