1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New from NJ Need Advice

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Maritime Matt, Dec 22, 2009.

1. Maritime Matt

Maritime Matt Junior Member

New to this site and from what I've already read is a ton of info.
    My info: I own a marine repair business located in a small marina. My two trucks are a 98 Chevy Silverado 1/2 ton z71 extended cab 5.7 auto trans. 4x4 Tow package Not Plow Package. 6' bed. 162K. Bought New.

2nd : 01 Ford 350 super duty 4dr extended cab dually 7.3 Powerstroke auto trans 4x4 W/ 9' Reading Work Body. 62k. A/C tilt cruise stereo. Bought used during the summer.
    I bought the Ford for the work body and towing capability. Wanted gas but for the price of the truck ( 9k ) i thought it was a good deal.
    I have plowed before so no issue. Insurance is not a problem.
    With almost a recent 2' blizzard, I thought it might be a good idea to put a plow on one of them. I would think the Ford would be the better choice. Dual batteries, Tow Package ect.
    Besides cleaning up the marina, a few commercial accounts would be nice. Have truck will travel.
    After reading on here, it seems a 9' blade would be the best choice for a dually ?? 8 1/2' ??
    I want to keep the weight down so as to not incrue suspension alterations/ expenses / time. . Poly Blade?? Better choice?
    New/ used?
    I got prices on a Boss 8' of 4500 installed and Western Pro Plus of 4925 installed. Save $500 if u install. Maybe the Chevy?? With a light duty set-up?
    Then I found this site. Of course there's always the cheaper less heavy duty plow set-ups for half the cost of these. Need help with this one. Thats a lot of coin to lay out, especially if it does not snow again. Ha Ha.

2. EGLC

EGLC PlowSite.com Addict

I'd look around for slightly used. I picked up my 3 year old western 8' pro plus for $1800. But now that we've had a few storms its going to be hard to find a nice plow at a good deal.

3. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Put a plow on the Chevy.
    The service body will be tough to see behind you.

4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

You just missed that storm ,now you'll have to wait another 5 years for snow!

5. Maritime Matt

TheChevy has a heavy glass cap on it so I guess the vis factor is about the same.
    I'll tell ya what, the Chevy is better in the snow than the Ford.
    I could probably find a plow for the Chevy easier, only thing that bothers me is that a-frame suspension gettin whacked out.

6. Maritime Matt

Well, here it is 2 days after the blizzard of December 26,2010 and still did not get a plow. Leaning toward the Ford most definitely. Now, which brand, model?
    Friend of mine just bought a Western for his GMC 2500 diesel from 4QTE.com.

7. Dchambers1

Dchambers1 Junior Member

Hey i just came across your post...Jersey here also. I just had a Snow Dogg installed on my truck in Deptford NJ an EX-80 for 4492 out the door and love it. Im gettting ready for this snow comming tomorrow eve