1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Forum To Plowsite

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by JRSlawn, Dec 15, 2004.

1. JRSlawn

JRSlawn Senior Member

I recently talked to sean and asked him about adding a fourm about parking lot sweeping. I have been looking into the business and am very intrested in getting into it. He told me to make a post asking people if they would like to see a fourm on sweeping. Let me know here in this post or pm me on your input

Jeff Smith
  2. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

I've only heard a couple guys mention that topic. I think Dwan does it if I remember correctly.
  3. JRSlawn

JRSlawn Senior Member

Yes Dwan does provdie these services. The point of this thread is to see how many of you would be intrested in sean starting up a fourm about sweeping. Seeping looks like a great way to make some night time cash. This thread would be there to help people out who were just getting started, let people know of new services, Sell and buy vehicals. I think this would benifit allot of people.

Jeff Smith
  4. JRSlawn

JRSlawn Senior Member

Come on guys help me out here. There is no one out there who would like to know more about the sweeping business. I have been to other sweeping fourms but they absolutly suck.
  5. BreyerConstruct

BreyerConstruct Senior Member

No pun intended, right? LOL

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

I woould'nt mind seeing a Parking Lot Services folder. Although I have been doing this for a while I have found I have learned a few new tricks here and read some dang good advice from some and other posts that makeme think about options in plowing.

I enjoy learning and improving myself to look more professional and when I am talking insted of sounding like a BS artist sounding like a pro who knows what he speaks of.

This site has helped me pick up some of those points and I would enjoy more in another source of income generation.
  7. JRSlawn

JRSlawn Senior Member

Thanks for your input guys. I think sean could do pretty damn good on a fourm like this. Yea I see, no pun intened.

Thanks for all your help,

Jeff Smith
    JRS Lawn & Landscape
  8. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

If you are thinking of sweeping i will warn you that it can be one of the most dirty and disqusting jobs out there, especially if you do parking decks. And running around with a leaf blower for 10 hours gets old quick. Plus you learn that people are some inconsiderate filthy pigs......but I'm still a litter bug :eek: job security ;) (and yes I relize how bad this sounds) Also you really need a few guys to work for you.....I duno about doing it and a real job long term just by yourself, the thing should be operating 7 days a week or close to it(except for snow) And like everything else finding good help is a PITA and mutants that tear stuff up are a royal PITA.

I would check it out though........

And when i mention except for snow I mean that.....a few of the mutants took out the truck with an 1" or so of powder unknown to my dad untill they brought the thing back with a giant snow ball in the back. They wernt in the lot for much time before it filled solid. Took awhile in the shop to melt that one out :eek: Thats the kinda stuff you will get to deal with ;)
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2004
  9. JRSlawn

JRSlawn Senior Member

I have pretty good help so far. As for parking decks, I am going to stay away from them and try to get large parking lots like sams club walmart and smaller parking lots. I need to find some good working equipment that isn't going to kill me in cost. I have never sweeped before. So I am trying to see what all is involved in this business. The reason I am posting is to get a fourm started so people can vent about there sweeping experience and get some tips here and there.

Jeff Smith
  10. JRSlawn

JRSlawn Senior Member

Do any of you know of anyone that is not on this that would be intrested in this fourm
  11. crashz

crashz Senior Member

I would be interested in this forum as well. In fact I've been thinking of starting a sweeping business. I have access to a walk behind rotarty broom sweeper, and for the right price an Elgin sweeper. I've got plenty of experience with both, as I used to run them for my father.

The problems I've seen so far is customer base. Most large parking lots have a maintenance contractor that takes car of the sweeping. And it is not a regular basis thing. Most lots around here are only swept in the spring. US Maintenance is big into the sweeping scene. Along with US Maintenance comes bottom level pricing.

The upside is that you make your own schedule. Unlike plowing and sanding, you can sweep whenever, providing that the ground is dry.
  12. JRSlawn

JRSlawn Senior Member

exactly in my area I have two large companies to deal with. I think it will be easy to pick up some of there accounts. My main goal is to get full service accounts mowing, plowing, sweeping. I need all the help I can get.

Jeff Smith
  13. northernsweeper

northernsweeper Senior Member

I would be interested in a sweeping forum.I have an elgin pelican that I use.I run the sweeper myself.Most sweeping is done at night.There are many issues with sweeping.You need a place to dump the sweepings,unless the company you are sweeping has an on grounds place for you to dump.If the lot has been sanded and salted over the winter,in a lot of states it is then considered hazardous waste and must be dumped accordingly.With the larger street sweepers,maint. can get expensive too..as I said though,I would love to see a forum on sweeping.
  14. JRSlawn

JRSlawn Senior Member

I hope sean see this and belives me he needs to add this fourm
  15. J HIsch

J HIsch Member

A good friend of mine is in the sweeping business. The margins are very low. I was shocked when he told me some of the pricing.
  16. JRSlawn

JRSlawn Senior Member

from the sounds of things in my area the guys do pretty well little to no competion. So it makes it easy to charge what you want. The main thing I love about the business is night shift. I love working all night and sleep until everyone else gets out of work. It is grand. My family thinks I am a nut for loving to go plowing from 12 -6. But hey maybe I am :dizzy:

Jeff Smith
  17. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

I'll vote for a form on sweeping also. anything we can share is good for all.
    I do find sweeping goes along with plowing, sanding, landscaping, and other outside building maintance in that it offers a full year around contractor to take care of all the needs of the property owner. If you have the job in the summer then there is a good chance you will have it in the winter and visa versa.

I find that in the winter I plow and sand. in the spring I sweep up the sand so it does't go down the drains into the local fish streams, I also notice that the sand wares away the striping on the lot so I also re strip my lots. then I offer a keep clean service through the summer and fall by sweeping on a regular bases. in fact if it wasn't for the sweeping right now I would not have an income for the last 2 months as it has not snowed here yet.
    is it profitable? yes it is when everything else is added into the formula.
  18. Mark F

Mark F Senior Member

One more yes vote!

Hey Guys;
    Another newbie here. Great site! Hats off to the makers! A sweeping thread would be a nice move. How about A striping thread to? Like my good buddy Dwan I also have A double edged sword business. I'll plow, sand all winter. Sweep all spring, re-strip most of the summer. Throw in a road trip or two some where in there to. Commercial fish in the fall and get ready for winter again. It's what I call the circle of life. Anyways, great place to surf, laugh,learn. This place has been at the top of my favorite list, under snow stuff, for A couple of winters now. Finally got the courage to sign up. So I could vote on this matter. Over and out!
  19. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

Morning Mark
  20. crashz

crashz Senior Member

Welcome Mark!