1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New forum software version

Discussion in 'Questions, Rules, Suggestions' started by plsoucy, Oct 10, 2005.

1. plsoucy

plsoucy Member

Hi there,

I just upgraded vBulletin, the software that powers PlowSite, from version 3.0.8 to version 3.5.0. This new version comes with several new features. Most of them will make the forum admins/moderators' job easier, but a few others may be helpful for users, for example:

# Inline post edit on showthread via AJAX
    # Username suggestion for PM recipients and search by user via AJAX

AJAX is a technology that allows the browser to retrieve content from the server without having to reload a page, which makes it easier to write dynamic applications. It is currently used by Gmail and Google Maps, for example.

This new forum sofware version should also, I hope, fix the posting problems that were reported by users in another thread.

I tried to test everything and believe that the upgrade went fine, but please let me know if you find a bug or a missing feature so that I can fix that. Thanks!

2. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Plsoucy!

3. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

I no longer see a spell check tab at the bottom, only a red x at the right of this text box(my computer doesn't like GIF for some reason) that if you click on it, it wants you to download some spell program for IE. Are you able to bring back the old button below? or are we to download this program?

4. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

There's no spell check on my screen either. It also will not let me use any of the smileys.

5. murphyslaw

murphyslaw Senior Member

the button for insertin a picture dosnt work as well as any of the other buttons.

6. plsoucy

plsoucy Member

The spell checker will be back within a few days - I suspected it to be part of the posting problems that some users experienced, and preferred not to install it right after the upgrade to see if the upgrade really helped to fix the problems or not.

If you are unable to use the buttons and smileys in the posting interface, please try doing a full reload (using the reload button of your browser) of the page where you type your post. Also, if you are using a browser other than Internet Explorer, please make sure that it is NOT set to report itself as MSIE, as this would cause the wrong JavaScript code to be sent to your browser.

Please try that, and let me know how it goes. Thanks!

7. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

I am using IE, smilies are just fine, no problems posting yet. Thank YOU

8. murphyslaw

murphyslaw Senior Member

about an hr. later the buttons started working. and i did reload the pag several times and back out to the main menu and went back to the post a few times also. but it works now so no worries

9. tawilson

tawilson Senior Member

Is that why the favicon changed from the snowflake to the blue V? Please change it back. And sometimes I can see the snowflakes all over the page, and sometimes I can't. I think that's because of my aging eyes. There are snowflakes all over the page, right?

10. Young Pup

Young Pup PlowSite Fanatic

Pierre,

It is JPP from lawnsite. Can you or anyone elxpain to me how to do this? I am not the best with computers.

Thanks,

JP

11. plsoucy

plsoucy Member

JP,

What browser are you using?

12. Young Pup

Young Pup PlowSite Fanatic

I am running aol. Just wondering if I checked this if it could be my problems of not being able to sign in to the websites using aol.

Thanks,

JP