1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

new forum member / current snowbear owner - some comments/pictures

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by PhantomRacer, Dec 27, 2004.

1. PhantomRacer

PhantomRacer Senior Member
    from boston

Been a snowbear owner for a few years now. Have heard a lot of negative comments about it. I don't understand why. It is a good product for who it is made for - the average joe homeowner...to do driveways and maybe a small parking lot. I did our street last year (about a mile) because the street was so bad..we are the last street plowed every time and the plow worked fine. Cars were able to get to their home after work. The city showed up after 10:30 at night!.

Just wanted to post some positive feedback on this unit. It is better than it's reputation. Then again, I don't have a choice in brands with a 2wd truck.

Here are some pics of last nights snow storm and our plowed driveway :

94 Chevy 2wd truck+Snowbear pictures (click here or picture)

[​IMG]

Paul

2. RJNewman

RJNewman Junior Member

nice job

- you aught to get a few shots of jamie for your good deed. I plowed for the first time with my unit -same as yours - with my 91 gmc jimmy 4wd - worked like a charm without head lights at 5am - once i get the hang of it, il do the whole neighborhood myself - its gotta get me some points with the desperate house wives!

3. RJNewman

RJNewman Junior Member

the plow isnew but easier to use than this digital camera

let me see if I can do this:

no can do - my size 900 kb is too big -anyone have afix for thatso I can post here?

4. 68 bullitt

68 bullitt Member

Great Job,My Snowbear plows just fine thank-you as well :drinkup:We just got dumped on, 40 cm's and it handled it no problem, several driveways.

5. Plowlikehell

Plowlikehell Member

6. bolensdriver

bolensdriver Senior Member

Nice plow :cool:

7. bolensdriver

by the way, how wide is that plow? and, did it come in blue? as most are yellow. It looks good in blue. :drinkup:

8. PhantomRacer

from boston

It is the standard snowbear. I think it is 7' or so. Never measured it. Not wide..but wide enough.

Got it a few years ago from BJs.

Have to say it is holding up well. Very little rust on it, some surface rust, nothing major though. I do like the little rack to move the plow around.

Best deal for the average homeowner I think. Cheap, decent quality, effective. Plus it fills the need for lighter trucks that want to plow like the big boys. I think it will even fit on a Geo Tracker and minivans. Not going to fit a honkin' Fisher on those (or even my 2wd truck for that matter)

Paul

9. bikeluver43

bikeluver43 Member
    from Mass

I remember seeing those in BJ's, were they cheaper to buy there or the same as online? I always wondered if you could rig something up (an electric piston or something) so that the plow could have an adjustable angle from inside your truck. I haven't seen the mounting for the plow, but does it look like something could be made to work?

10. dunedog

dunedog Senior Member

Bikeluver...
    You can make it a power angle plow by adding another winch (vertical). Mount it and connect to one side of the plow loop around the drum a few times and attach to the other side of the plow.
    Someone on this site from Canada has described doing it this way.
    It works because the winch in use does not have 'free wheel'....it powers both ways.....

Last edited: Jan 5, 2005
  11. ProEnterprises

ProEnterprises Senior Member
    from CT

phantom-what did you pay for the setup all in? we have a similar model at home depot, its orange and says "pro shovel" (but same sno bear brand) and is tagged for $999.99, but looks like for blade and winch only. do the mount/lights end up running extra?

thanks, and awesome setup.

12. PhantomRacer

from boston

The setup was $999 for the plow, w/ markers and rubber deflector. The lights and mounting arms were $100 extra (well worth it) but do not have turn signals. Got the lights right from snowbear.

Double check that the one at HD has the markers and deflector. I have seen it sold with and without them at different retailers here. The BJs deal back when i got it was the best 'value' since it had both accessories.

I think it is great for what it is too..great value..good product..works as advertised.. it is 4-5 years old and still looks pretty new.

Paul

13. bolensdriver

:cool: it rocks. I love the color too. Wish they all had blue colors.

14. Crumm

Crumm Senior Member

Thanks for the positive feedback. I always have defended the snowbear for the homeowner but it is alot better coming from someone that has one. I never could figure out why everyone wants Joe Homeowner to buy a $4000 set-up when the $1000 snowbear would do them a fine job. You are proof in the pudding..

15. PhantomRacer

from boston

Not only is a 4K+ setup overkill...but probably not possible on my truck.. Not a lot of plows for 2wd trucks, minivans, and small suvs out there.

The plow was a godsend this morning..had 4" on the driveway when I woke up. 6 minutes of plowing..looks like a pro did it.

Using a big, badddass plow for a homeowner is way overkill.

Sometimes you just have to move snow!

I mean the plow (mine anyway) is pretty f#*cking heavy steel. Frame is heavy steel. There is nothing on the plow made of cardboard. Unless you hit a light pole or a tree..I see no way of breaking it. The weak link is the winch..I have not had problems..but I can see how that could be a weak spot. So what..put a new winch on every 5-10 years..no big deal.

It is funny too..when I got the plow and saw that it was blue..I was kinda disappointed..I wanted it Fisher yellow :) Thought it looked like a toy and was going to be teased by the other big plow drivers..lol..

If I had a ford F250, etc, I might get a real plow...but for my lil 1/2 ton 2wd...this is like gold to me.

Paul

16. dunedog

dunedog Senior Member

Works for Me !!!!

security 019.jpg

security 021.jpg

17. PhantomRacer

from boston

Well...thats not something you see everyday!.

Beats shoveling...big time...

Oh yea...what is the fisher plow that fits on your van?....mmmmm...didn't think so!!

Snowbear rocks!

Paul

18. kubotazd21

kubotazd21 Member

I does not matter weather the plow is on a geo storm or a chevy astro van, it still makes green cash....and thats what is important..

19. Crumm

Crumm Senior Member

I have to disagree there. For personal use a Snowbear on a astro van will do just fine but to make cash you need to step up a little. I have defended the snowbear as a personal use plow while others have been bashing it but it is not designed or intended for commercial use. As far as the Geo storm I doubt that snowbear makes a mount that fits them. My wife had a Geo storm when we got married 15 years ago and from what I can remember about it I think you would be better off with a plow on a Honda gold wing.

20. dunedog

dunedog Senior Member

Yes, as stated I put the SB on my Astro for plowing my apartment houses.I am not going into 'the' business.The money I make is having my body stay healthy.
    I am done having to wait for my brother-in-law to plow... (I always appreciated his help) or beating myself up with the large blowers I have. The plow is everything I had hoped for and then some....!!!!
    For other SB owners, I have made a homemade deflector that makes a BIG difference in the ability to stack snow.I took some 1/2" Lexan I recycled from a local hockey rink and attached it to the top of the plow.Works like a charm ....some shots attached

PS. The looks I've been getting from other plowers,kids on the street,other motorists,other ASTRO owners........PRICELESS !!! :drinkup:

security 022.jpg

security 023.jpg

security 024.jpg