1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Ford ?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by plow4u, Jan 11, 2010.

1. plow4u

plow4u PlowSite.com Veteran

Thinking of buying a new ford F-350 srw ext cab or an F-250 and getting rid of my 2007 Silverado 2500 NBS with the 6.0. how are the 5.4 gas engines and how do the Fords hold up? never have owned a Ford always had Dodges and switched to the Silverado and just don't care for it. Any thoughts suggestion on the Ford would be greatful.Truck will be outfitted with my Western wideout.

2. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

I still have yet to drive the V8, but after driving a 2004 Crew Cab Shortbed V10 (2 Valve, the 3 Valve has more power-2005+) I was very impressed. I've owned Fords before and know they take a beating and keep going so the reliability or ability to hold a plow should be of little concern. The V10 had plenty of power and I'd say its the gas equivalent of the diesel. I too am trying to find a 5.4 V8 to drive and a fellow plowsite member offered me a test drive of his personal truck which is very cool so I can make a better decision when it comes time to buy. I'd recommend the same if you know someone since you won't have a salesman talking about this or that the entire time while your trying to test the truck.

3. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

I have driven a few 5.4 Fords that seems to be underpowered to me... but they were older models not 2009-2010 models.
    I think out of all the "new" trucks the Ford is the best by far! I just bought a lightly used 2008 F-250 with the 6.4 Diesel and I love it!

4. Pushin 2 Please

Pushin 2 Please PlowSite Veteran

I have both the 6.0 in my GMC and the 5.4 in my F-350. I have always bought gas over Diesel. No reason for it, but as for power I think the 5.4 is just fine for plowing snow and towing if needed. And IMO Fords hold up just as good if not better than any truck on the road.

5. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Pushin 2- how does the 5.4 compare to the 6.0? I've driven a few 6.0 chevy's so I can at least get some idea of the power the 5.4 has in the superduty.

Thanks

6. sbrennan007

sbrennan007 Senior Member

2009 Ford F250 FX4

I haven't quite decided yet, but I might be selling my truck with the 5.4L Gas engine. I literally just bought it 4 months ago, it only has ~1200 Miles on it and sits in the garage all the time.

I have been a long time (almost 25 years) plower but have two herniated disc's in my back which are giving me real grief this year.

I bought the truck (my 5th one with the 5.4L Gas) with intentions of putting a Western 9' Plow on it, but never put the plow on due to my back.

So now I'm at the dilemma of 'should I keep it or should I sell it'? The only reason I would keep it is I absolutely love it, color, wheels etc... and the 5.4L Gas is the perfect engine for this truck. It's also paid for, so I don't have to worry about making payments on it and not using it. Other side of this, is of course if I'm not using it, and have only put ~1200 Miles on it in 4 Months, why keep it just to sit in the garage.

Anyhoo... If you get a 5.4L Gas truck you won't be disappointed. I have the 20" wheels and 3.73 gears. On the highway, I can get an honest to goodness 17+ MPG @ 70+ MPG. Around town I usually average about 13+ MPG from the stop and go.

For comparison examples, here is a link to my trucks Window Sticker and some Pics:

http://services.forddirect.fordvehicles.com/inventory/WindowSticker.pdf?vin=1FTSX21539EA54595

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. grasmancolumbus

grasmancolumbus Senior Member

Just got a 2009 SRW F350 5.4 gas, in November, So far so good plenty of power, have a boss V plow. Down side Gets about 7.8 miles per gallon plowing 10 MPG just driving around!payup

8. sbrennan007

In regards to power and towing, I used to plow and tow my 30' boat with my trucks. Here is a picture of my 30' boat that I never had any issues with towing.
    [​IMG]

9. grasmancolumbus

Mine is not that NICE! just plain old white steel wheels bench seat i do have the super cab but wow thats nice!!

10. sbrennan007

You know what though, take a look out on places like e-Bay if your at all interested and you can add the factory wheels and even replace the seats. Lots of conversion companys sell brand new factory seats out of these trucks to replace them with custom conversions and everything is totally a strait fit.

You'd probably spend a couple grand at the very most, but have a similar looking truck for allot less. ussmileyflag

11. bayfish

bayfish Junior Member

I have a 2005 F250 4X4 XL regular cab work truck with the 5.4. It has plenty of power for plowing or towing. MPG's is not the greatest, but with 3.73 rear, it tows very well.

12. Mad Plow

Mad Plow Junior Member
    from alaska

My 2010 XL 5.4 w/4.10's and Western 8.5 MVP works great, I dont understand the under powered part, These trucks are not drag racers, And when working in snow and your wheels spin all that power gos right out the window

13. jmc

jmc Junior Member

I took delivery of an 09 F350 5.4 with an 8 foot fisher last month. The truck feels sluggish compared to the 6.0 chevy it replaced, even in tow/haul mode. It has the power, but it always seems to be in a gear to high, and requires flooring it to get the downshift. It plows great, poor milage under 7 mpg on the readout (under 5 with an F550 6.4 diesel, which is an amazingly powerful engine.) Never towed with it. It rides ROUGH compared to the chevy, lowering the tire pressure to 50 helped, but now the tire pressure light is on. The 10,200 lb gvw requires a Mass DOT annual inspection, extra $40 and much more strict standards. It has under 1000 miles still, so too soon to say how it will hold up.

14. Mad Plow

Mad Plow Junior Member
    from alaska

I will have to agree with you about the 5.4 feeling a little bit sluggish but it does have the HP to do what you what to do. I never hit the highway so I dont really notice the higher gear shifting and i dont go over 45 with my plow on. Also my readout reads 7 mpg but just last night with 586 miles on it went up to 7.6 mpg, whats up with that????????????? Maybe as the milage goes up it will read what its suppose to.

15. grasmancolumbus

yes i would love to find a new seat have had no luck so far

16. sbrennan007

Tire Pressure

Just as an FYI, I had done the same as you and lowered the rears to 50lbs and got the TPMS light.

Put them all back to 65lbs, drove around the block to turn the light off, and the lowered the rears to 55lbs.

No TPMS light so far. :rolleyes: