1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Ford Owner

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by jlmac, Nov 24, 2001.

1. jlmac

jlmac Junior Member
    from Maine

I recently took delivery of an '02 F-350 diesel. After much research I think this truck will outperform its Chevy equivalent (if there is such a thing). The truck has a fisher 8.5 v plow. I could use all the advice I can get, both general use and plowing, on all the various tricks and tips on this truck. I've been plowing commercial properties for about 15 years with Chevy 2500 & 3500 with fisher plows, first Ford in 20 years.

Thanks

John

------------------------
    No snow in sight

2. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Looks like you have good experience plowing. My only tip would be to be careful now that you have so much more power then the old Chevies you ran. You can push a lot of snow and a lot of other stuff with a Ford.

3. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

I am sorry but I just cant see how the PS and fords auto tranny could outperform the Duramax with an allison. What you need to be carefull with that truck is not to grenade the tranny pushing snow. Change the fluid 2x a year in the tranny and you might be ok.
    Dino

4. Dockboy

Dockboy Guest

jlmac ,

Congrats on the new truck

:D

You didn't say what configuration it is(reg. cab, supercab, crewcab, long or short bed).

If it came with the plow pkg. then you already have the X code front springs. If it didn't, GET SOME!

Also, look into some Monroe Muscle's or Timbren's for the front. They help alot.

As for the tranny, if it's an auto, after you get some miles on it(at least 500) look into changing to synthetic. I have Mobil 1 synthetic in mine and my trans temp never exceeds 160 even under the severe duty of plowing and towing. And my truck has an additional 165 hp and 250 ft/lbs of torque over stock;) .

You won't believe how much snow these things can push:eek:

Greg

5. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

If the truck has the Plow Prep Package your front end should be fine IMO.

I have a few trucks just like yours, and haven't had any front end problems. When you have a super cab is when you should think about up grades in the front end.

My company's equipment maintmance policy has a lot to do with the long term problem free service we get out of our trucks.

Some key maintmance things are:

Tire roatation
    Oil Changes

Change the Trans fluid every 20K or 2 times a year whatever comes first. Changes in the fall, and again in the spring.

If you do not slam the truck around, and come to complete stops, before shifting from r to d. You should get several years of service out of your truck.

It will push a lot of snow, and have power to spare.

Geoff

6. jlmac

jlmac Junior Member
    from Maine

Thanks guys, I appreciate the advice. Dockboy my truck is a 1 ton reg cab with a 3 yard dump. How do you check for the X code for the front springs?

7. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Dino he said Ford not Dogge. Dodges hav the week trannies. I have never had a problem with a Ford Auto or Manual.

Geoff is right maintainence is important.

8. Dockboy

Dockboy Guest

jlmac ,

Look on the door jamb sticker on the drivers side, where the GVW, Tire size, ect. is. Under "SPR" are your spring codes. The first one is your front, the second is the rear. The X code springs are installed on a PSD with the plow pkg and are the standard springs on a 450 and 550. They are rated at 6000 lbs. , but remember the front GVW is also limited by the front axle. Don't worry though, I believe your truck has at least a 5200 lb FGVW.

Greg

9. BOSS Adam

BOSS Adam Senior Member

jlmac could you post some pictures so we could see your new beauty?

Thanks Adam

:D

10. Bill M.

Bill M. Junior Member

snow plow prep on f350

On friday a ford dealer told me the snow plow prep package was not available on the PSD f350? what gives?:confused:

11. One thing to remember is to drain your fuel filter housing periodically (it is the yellow knob behind the fuel filter housing), change your fuel filter at the beginning of the season, and at the end or 2 times yearly. If the "Water in fuel" light ever comes on pull over immediately and drain the water out, don't wait until you get to a service station, it will be too late.
    Oh, don't buy the filters from Ford they tack on a whole lot more $ to put their name on someone elses filter.

12. GeoffD

The snowplow prep is avaible on:

All gas regular cab and super cab trucks.

All regular cab diesel trucks. The F 250 may be out. Not sure.

Super Cab F 350, F 450, and F 550 cab and chasis trucks.

Geoff

13. Bill M.

Bill M. Junior Member

Thanks Geoff,
    I was looking at crew cabs, so thats why no plow prep packages.

14. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns PlowSite.com Veteran

You can get the Camper Package and that will give you the max front springs.

plowking is absolutely correct:
    The 7.3 is awesome, but in no way better than a 6.6L w/allision.

And, yes, you DO need to be careful about transmissions. Ford didn't put a transmission temp gauge in it for no reason. Those babies get HOT pushing snow in high-range. Those things WILL fail if pushed too hard.

15. Mike Nelson

Mike Nelson Senior Member

That is why we plow with loaders and let the Fords just pick up the crumbs.We don't want them to brake down.:D
    I would never live it down from Dino if he had to come from Conn. to help us out.LOL

Anyway congrats on your new truck,good luck!

Mike Nelson
    New York Snow Pros
    Fishkill,N.Y.

16. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

From discussions here and at other boards, it appears the Allison transmissions gear ratios are better suited for trailer towing and jockeying than pushing snow. With gripes about super steep 1st and reverse, and delayed reverse engagement, I would think I'd run out of patience dealing with rock-crawling speeds all night.

Thanks but no thanks.

17. GeoffD

And, yes, you DO need to be careful about transmissions. Ford didn't put a transmission temp gauge in it for no reason. Those babies get HOT pushing snow in high-range. Those things WILL fail if pushed too hard. [/B][/QUOTE]

Ok, I never plowed with a diesel till the superduties came out in 99, all my plow trucks were gas trucks. Most trucks had the 460, and drank gas like it was going out of style.

So when the 99s came out i bought my first diesel plow truck. I have a 99 F 350 dump body, with an 8.5' V-plow, yes it has the diesel. The truck now has 85K on it, started plowing in November of 99, and has plowed every winter. The truck has the same trans, with no sign of falling out. All we do is change the fluid 2 times a year, we did it 3 times on this past winter do to the large amount of snow. If you come to a full stop, the truck will last. This was is going strong, and i expect to see 150K on it with out any problems.

Geoff

18. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

If you watch the temp and change the fluid then no problem. They are made to work not to be abused.

19. Ford has a additional transmission filter that is supposed to be easy to install on the transmission line near the radiator. It is to be used on trucks that are used for heavy towing and is supposed to lengthen the life of the auto. trans. Sorry I disgarded the part #, but the dealer should be able to locate it. This sounds like money well spent for a truck used for plowing.

20. scotty2222

scotty2222 Member
    from MI

The 7.3 is awesome, but in no way better than a 6.6L w/allision.

First I don't see the 6.6L being better then the 7.3 because GM has not proved out the motor yet give it a year than we can judge. 2nd with the trans issue yes the Allison has always been better than any ford trans that I know, but there is certain things that I don't like about the Allison either.