1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

new ford is LEMON

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by pats plowing, Jul 13, 2003.

1. pats plowing

pats plowing Senior Member

Well as you all know i just bought a new 03 f350 supercab xlt wit the 6.0l psd. It is 6 weeks old as of today with 2200 miles. It was declared a lemon yesterday since it went back for the third attempt to fix my rough idle problem. Ford is aware of the concern but has no fix for it. I called there hotline and demanded ford to buy back the truck and im getting all types of bs. So ill be getting a lawyer soon.
    Heres the list of problems ive had:
    Day 3 egr valve failed-was towed thanks for fords roadside assistance located in ohio it took a short 3 hrs to get a towtruck.
    Day 4 notice glass on drivers side is scratched. Its replaced.
    Dealer starts truck it smokes all over, no fix to this yet. I get the engine to stick at 1000-1500 rpm with my foot on the brake, the mileage highway is 14 unloaded.
    New problems, when changing from R to D there is a metal grinding noise which my dealer dismissed
    There is a whistle caused by a defective passenger mirror yet to be replaced. My doors do not shut tight and rattle, the paint on the hood is bubling up which dealer said was bird droppings. He basically insulted all my intelligence. The tailgate fell off the other day and he said i took it out, yet there is a part missing. there is no 4*4 low.
    So now i need to get some new vehicle and get some $$ back. What a pain in the ars thanks ford.

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

Sorry to hear about your troubles.Nobody deserves that when dropping that kinda $$$ on a new truck.They should buy it back,and make it right.

I was at a Ford dealer I used to work at,and couldn't believe all the 6.0L trucks that were sitting on the lot with problems waiting for a fix.Ford screwed up big time on this one.It will probably be a killer motor when it's corrected,but until then,STAY AWAY.

Boy,am I glad I don't work for Ford nowadays.

Have you looked into trying to find one with a loeftover 7.3L ? or are you going to look into a different truck altogether ?

3. snowjoker

snowjoker Senior Member

Sorry to hear about all of your misfortune Pats Plowing. I hope you come out well after the lawyer gets involved. Maybe you will hit a chevy dealer on your way home after court ; keep us informed on what you do

4. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Sorry to hear about all the problems you are having with the new Ford. Get rid of it and start over fresh if at all possible. If I were you, Id switch brands altogether if you could. Try a Chevy or a Dodge next. I am in the repair business and I can honestly say, Fords come in more than any other brand for idle or stalling problems and check engine lights. My Chevy is a 1992 and the check engine light has never shown its face. Oh man, here I go again comparing Chevy and Ford. Sorry Ford guys, didnt mean to start anything. ;) Good luck, hope you can get out of it and into something better built. Mike

5. Nozzleman

Nozzleman Senior Member

Pat's Plowing, I am sorry to hear about all the trouble you are having. If it's any consolation at least your not alone, Ton's of guy's are having numerous problems with the 6.0 Power Stroke.

As others have stated if Ford takes your truck back then I would look at different brand.

I personally have a '03 Dodge Cummins and aside from a defective front shock replaced under warrenty the truck has been trouble free for 5,000 miles.

Good luck.

6. THREE W

THREE W Senior Member

Does anyone know why Ford decided to go away from the 7.3,
    that is a tested good engine so why change????

One would think if they where going to go with a new engine
    they would put some in the year before and run them as test
    engines to get the bugs out, rather than taking the chance
    of someone getting smoked!!

7. wyldman

wyldman Member

I think the biggest reason for change is to meet the ever tightening emission and fuel economy laws.It's also a HP race,as every consumer wants the best.

The 7.3L engine was a good motor,it was just getting a little dated,and needed a redesign.

You would think they could build them a little better,and test them a bit more.

8. Dockboy

Dockboy Guest

The 6.0 was tested in International trim(365) for well over a year before being introduced in the Ford;) But I believe there is still going to be some teething for a year or two in the Ford trim:rolleyes:

Pat,

As for your other problems, sounds like your truck was built on a Fri. or a Mon.:angry: Not good days on the assembly lines!!

All I can say is my SD is the absolute best truck I've ever owned!! I've had them all too, Chevy's, Dodge's, Toyota's ect. With any brand, sometimes you get a good one, sometimes a bad one.

My 2000 7.3 has 100k mi. on it, puts over 400 hp to the ground and I drive it like I stole it! Tow 10k lbs almost daily, plow, drag race and just basically abuse it. It is still as tight as it was the day I drove it off the lot and if you didn't look inside the bed, you would think it was brand new!

I would ask your dealer to find you an 03 7.3 if they can!!

Good luck,

Greg

9. gordyo

gordyo Senior Member

Pat,

It isn't just your truck and Fords in particular. I was driving through Maine yesterday, saw a Chevy on the side of the road and thought of this post. I was around the Sebago Lake area on rt. 302 and saw a brand new 2500 series Chevy Pickup 4x4 on the side of the road that someone was obviosly trying to get attention with. It had writting all over it saying, This truck is a Lemon, I want my money back, yada yada yada. If I wasn't in heavy traffic I would have pulled over and taken a picture of it. Every manufacturer has problems at one time or another. I am parial to Fords but I did own a Chevy pickup and it was a great truck. As a matter of fact, I sold it to the school with 189,000 miles on it and it now has over 200,000 and I still use it everyday as my work vehicle. I hope Ford does the right thing for you!!

10. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Gordyo, are you sure it was a Chevy pick up truck you saw stuck on the side of the road with such god awful things written on it?? I dont know, but that is really hard for me to believe. :D Just pullin your leg a little! ;) It would have been funny though to see the picture, hahaha. Mike :drinkup:

11. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Funny there was a new chevy running around here last yr with a similar treatment. He had lemon stickers all over it,and decals saying this truck is a lemon,do not buy Gm trucks...... See owner for details.

12. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Lemon is about the only adjective my friend used for his Duramax Chevy that I can print!!:eek:

13. Dockboy

Dockboy Guest

That's a good one:bluebounc :redbounce :jester:

Greg

14. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I think that they are overpriced pieces of s**T .I know this guy who had a dodge and said that he would never get another .I asked him why he said listen to this and he rocked the truck side to side and it was creaking and making all kinds of noise.So what does he do goes out and buys another one but with the cummings in it.So I guess the moral of the story is what ever truck your driving at the time it acts up and stays acting up is your lemon UNTIL you get another that works fine.
    Don't get me wrong I believe that he is having problems with his truck seams all the GM products we get have something wrong too and I do have a ford truck too so I can talk about both that have had things go bad with them but nothing like Pats problems. I'm just sorry to hear it Hope every thing will go a little smoother for you .

15. snow

snow PlowSite.com Veteran

Pat-

What do you plan on doing? Getting a 7.3L instead? the 7.3l powerstrokes seem to be a good proven engine. The 6.0 is a good engine, but like a new product it just needs some time to work all the bugs out.

Let us all know how you make out, good luck.

Bryan

Last edited: Jul 14, 2003
  16. BWhite

BWhite Senior Member

Looks like some manufacturers are going back to the "good old days" where they allow the customers work out the bugs in there new products (engines)

17. Nozzleman

Nozzleman Senior Member

Don't hold me to this, but I heard Ford may be switching to a entirely different injection system for the 6.0 due to the rather sickening unreliability rate the current one has.

18. gordyo

gordyo Senior Member

Can't mistake that gold bowtie emblem Mike, and I'm guessing that the dealership he bought it from was the one about 1/2 mile down the street on the same side of the road.

19. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

I just saw a JD Power long term evaluation that ranked the Ford F series at the top of its class:confused:

20. wyldman

wyldman Member

I never trust any of those reviews,evaluations,and magazine articles.They don't have a clue.

Look at the real world evaluations,talk to the owners,or the mechanics who work on them.Then you'll get the true story.