1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Flatbed (Rebuilding 09 Chevy 3500HD after Tornado)

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by rusty_keg_3, Dec 3, 2010.

1. rusty_keg_3

rusty_keg_3 Senior Member

Ok, long story short:

June 5th, tornado took my bros house, and our shop, 3 trucks, 2 cars, all our mowers, a trailer...

One was or 2009 Chevy Silverado 3500HD. It got totaled out by the insurance company. So it went up to auto auction where we bought it back for $5500...

So far we have...
    New windows all around.
    New Fender
    New Hood
    New Headlights
    New Cab lights
    New Radiator
    New Grille
    And last but definitely not least a New Flat Bed!!!

Just picked it up from the shop today. Ill Take better pics tomorrow when the suns out...

We are planning to...
    Replace both doors
    Towing Mirrors
    Replace "Cab corners" or bottom half of the pillar

We still need to have it inspected to get our rebuilt salvage title...

I will put up a few of the truck from before the tornado, after, and how it looked today. By the way, i just put the new hood on about 1 hr ago... So its not on in the pics...

side, new.jpg

front, new.jpg

front after storm.jpg

side after storm.jpg
  2. rusty_keg_3

Heres the current pics from today...

So what you guys think?

Last edited: Dec 3, 2010
  3. GMCHD plower

GMCHD plower PlowSite.com Addict

Looks good with the flatbed.. Now we need some pic's with the hood replaced... What you you gonna do to take the sag out of the frontend this winter? If I remember right she was nosediving pretty hard last winter!
  4. rusty_keg_3

Thanks, im glad i decided to get the flatbed over a regular bed. Granted i havent used it yet. But i think it looks pretty good. And the flatbed has do many possabilites. I wanna get a hoist in the spring if we have a good winter. Ill take pics tomorrow, with my real camera. Nor sure yet bur i was thinking a leveking kit or just crank the t bars, cause its the snows falling but not sticking. So i gotta rush to ger it ready.
  5. EGLC

EGLC PlowSite.com Addict

turn the t-bars and buy timbrens. turning t-bars alone isn't good enough.
  6. f250man

f250man PlowSite Veteran

Looking good. Keep up the great work
  7. XxChevy-HDxX

XxChevy-HDxX Senior Member
    from Mass

Put bigger tires and it will look even better
  8. Iceman26

Iceman26 Junior Member

Nice work, I wouldn't even know the difference from new to old.

IPLOWSNO PlowSite.com Addict

pssss the new is dented and the old is not
  10. rusty_keg_3

Thats not in my budget just yet, but i want some when once i start making money with it...

Thanks, im tryin.

Ive been looking in to timbrens, how hard are they to install?

Heres some pics from last night and today...

And if u see it in person you can see more dents unfortunately. But i want to get new doors in the spring if i can find "cab corners"...

I have the black parts that go on the hood but the adheasive from that gay tape is hard to get off...

Im thinkin ill get 2 amber clearance lights for the bed right behind the door...

new 037.jpg

new 039.jpg

new 038.jpg

new 040.jpg
  11. joey7599

joey7599 Senior Member
    from MA

almost looks new what brand plow is gonna be on it
  12. rusty_keg_3

Thanks, i have a Boss Poly 8' 2"... I got it all hooked up and took pics but im loading them onw, i need to resize them. Its the original plow, its got a few bends (nothing major). And i had to replace the lights, and need to clean it up...

Im hurrying with the pics... Sorry
  13. rusty_keg_3

Ok here it is... Theres whats left of my one light. I put 2 new ones on, but 2 of the old connectors from drivers side are gone...

And i gotta re align the lights, oil it, and get it cleaned up...

plow 1.jpg

plow 2.jpg

plow 3.jpg

plow 4.jpg

plow 5.jpg
  14. rusty_keg_3

Here a few of the truck, you can see how bad the damage to the door and cab corner are, but it shuts and latches, and i cant find those corners so it should do for now...

truck 1.jpg

truck 2.jpg

truck 3.jpg

truck 4.jpg
  15. MikeRi24

MikeRi24 Senior Member

thats very unfortunate about the truck, sounds like you made out pretty good though with collecting the insurance money and then rebuilding it yourself.
  16. rusty_keg_3

I threw the plow on real quick and took a some more pics...

You can really see the dents in the last one...

What you guys think?

truck 10.jpg

truck 11.jpg

truck 12.jpg

truck 14.jpg

Truck 15.jpg
  17. rusty_keg_3

Yea, thanks... It wasnt fun, and i hope we are never in that situation again... Yea, i got the truck for less than 1/4 what the blue book was (what insurance gave us). Then put another 1/4 of it into it... So i did pretty good, once i have it inspected i will be driving a truck worth 2-2.5 what i have into it...

And i got to keep the plow, and still got money for it, so i made out well on that too...

It was a fun a nice learning experience in a way... Very frustrating tho... It was partially mine b4 the tornado, but my bro bought it back and gave it to me, to pay me off for what money i paid for this truck, and some work i did for him... But i payed for the bed, and lights... And gotta buy doors, and cab corners still... And want towing mirrors... And some lights...

Some more pics...

truck 20.jpg

truck 21.jpg

truck 22.jpg

truck 23.jpg

truck 24.jpg
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2010
  18. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

Tell me more about the flatbed...
    Difficulty to install
    Why you chose that brand...
  19. flatlander42

flatlander42 Senior Member

I think the bed makes it look like it is nose diving worse than it is. I think it looks like a slick truck with the flatbed, almost tough!

Still can't believe how banged up it was!

IPLOWSNO PlowSite.com Addict

for what you got into it dont worry about the dents just look all mean and **** driving it .guaranetee people wont park next to ya , just fling the door open with your foot kick it shut lol, the money you saved you'll be in a new one in no time, put an ectoskeleton it and make it look like a truggy