1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Fisher V vs Western V, What's Better?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by intlco, Nov 16, 2004.

1. intlco

intlco Senior Member

Anyone out their that has used either of these, tell me what you think. Which one is better?
    The New Fisher V or Western V?
    It seems that Fisher cost more out here. but nobody is using either one. So the dealers are not stocking them.
    They are stocking the Boss, it seems more popular out west, but is has no trip edge.
  2. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

I have a fisher and like it. Ran a boss and didnt just because what you mention, its a full trip :mad:. Western and fisher are pretty much the same although western will supposedly piviot side to side more than a fisher and the mounting is slightly different. IMO pick what dealer is good and what mounting you prefer.
  3. edshipp19

edshipp19 Senior Member

Def go with whichever dealer is better. I personally have two fisher v's but at the end of last winter i had my 2003 next to a western 2003. I like the blade side of western better(added pivot point ratlover mentioned and wing stops standard on the 8.5) but the fisher truck mount, to me, seemed alot beefier and went farther back on the frame which is VERY important imo.
    Hope it helps
    Oh Yeah and make sure you get a new control without the mode button
  4. intlco

intlco Senior Member

Yah, I too didn't like that mode button on my old fisher. I was thinkin' bout ordering the joystick.
    I'm gonna just try and find me a reasonable priced Fisher dealer and go with it. I think that A-Frame looks stronger.
    Anyone know what the average price of these plows should be?
    Our dealers out here are wanting over $6500 for a Fisher or Western 8.6 V uninstallled.
    Plus $200 for cutting edge, and $250 for rubber snow def.
    Install labor is another $595

I'm going to be putting it on a 04 Silverado K3500 Crew Dually D-max Dump Trk.
  5. maurader

maurader Member

6. ratlover

from IL

IIRC I paid 4500 out the door for my 9.5 fisher(I assemebled). I believe that is a touch high but the dealer is good and I paid more to stick with them as for i didnt get screwed in case of a break down.

Get the fishstick without the mode button! there are now 2 styles and a joystick. man does the mode button suck!

Buy a spare cutting edge. Some go for years on factory trip edge but I went through the trip edge in a storm and a 1/2. You dont want to be down trying to find a set of edges!
  7. intlco

intlco Senior Member

If it wasn't for the price of diesel being over $2, I was considering driving back towards IL to get one. Dealers west of MS River are just overcharging and blaming it on freight cost.
    I always put on a new cutting edge when I get the blade. I can't see ruining the trip edge after forkin' out 6K. Hate to see what trip cost to replace.
  8. ratlover

from IL

You wear the trip edge down to right before you start to get into the spring perches and then you slap a cutting edge on top of it. Western has the option of a longer edge(like fisher) or a shorter one that is in essince "pre worn" and has a regular cutting edge already bolted on. You right though, dont want to replace a trip edge, better not grind too far and get into the spring perches! No need to replace the trip edge, just keep throwing edges on it.

Fisher just has 1 lenght(the longer that should be worn down) Some slap a edge on right away and then either replace the cutting edge when its gets to the trip edge(wasting alot of usable edge) or wearing them both down together. It will take quite awhile to wear that thick sob down(although the same total amount of time to go through them both if you think about it) and with it being so think it wont cut as well IMO.

The longer trp edge is designed to be worn down and not replaced.
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2004
  9. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

Rapid City or Denver would have lower prices that probably would be worth driving for. V plows (boss fisher and western) go for 4500 in those places. I bought a boss 10' v installed for 6k

10. My belief, in the comparasin between Fisher and Western is simple.

Consider that they are both made by Douglas Dynamics. Its a similar situation with General Motors. Chevy and GMC are both very good trucks, but GMC tends to be a bit fancier. Same Goes with Fisher and Western, Fisher's seem to be a bit better. Just a thought :rolleyes:
  11. ultimate plow

ultimate plow PlowSite.com Addict
    from N. IL

My friend has a western v-plow and he loves it. He got it mounted last year and has been perfect so far for him. If I was you I would go with the western V
  12. intlco

intlco Senior Member

Don't waste gas drivin' to overpriced CO or SD!

I called several dealers in Denver and Rapid City and prices are just as high as Montana and Wyoming.
    Called Horizon in Denver and they quoted $6300 plus tax on a Boss 9'2" V
    Nobody down there had a Western in stock.
    Called NTE in Rapid and he wants $5500 plus tax for a Boss V.
    Noboby in SD has Fisher or Western V's in stock.
    I assume if you want a better cash 'n carry price than list, you gotta know someone who's selling blades.
    They can keep ém at these prices!!!