1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Fisher Plow Observations

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by lieutlamson, Oct 10, 2007.

1. lieutlamson

lieutlamson Member

Just this past monday I bought my fourth fisher plow within the last couple years. As always I chose to assemble it myself to save the 400 or so on install and I like to go the extra mile and paint certain things etc. Anyways I cant help but notice how sloppy this plow seems. I know they leave things loose to allow for production variations, but I would think they could tighten things up a little. I think Ive spent $35 on washers so far.....

2. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

Never assembled or installed one myself -- are there parts that don't come with the finished black paint?? Are you currently running 4 trucks? I see one listed in your signature... just wondering!

~Kevin

3. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

dont be scared. call em up and ask them wtf?

4. lieutlamson

lieutlamson Member

No everything comes ready to install, just in a bunch of boxes. The dealer told me they leave everything loose to allow for production variations, but for example I added 5 washers to each side of the lift arm to tighten it, otherwise you could slide it back and forth with almost an inch of play.

And no I dont have 4 trucks right now, only a pickup and a dump, but Ive been installing some for friends and also my previous trucks. I like to take a little more time and put some lock-tite on bolts, paint any bolts, or unpainted metal, and add washers everywhere.

5. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

u sound like a man who cares. ANY DEALERS ON HERE take note and learn something. or hire him.

6. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

i go to the oldest dealer on the east coast there the best installers

7. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

That play is normal.

I'm a Hardware/Manufacturing Engineer and I didn't like what I saw myself. I called fisher on it back in 1995. I was told the pin size has been like that since the 40's. They said it works best. If they make them tight things end up binding up come winter when there is dirt salt ice etc and wear out faster, break etc. And recommended me to leave it as designed. I did and it never wore out or broke..:rolleyes: .

I hear ya, it just what I was told.

8. BoulderBronco

BoulderBronco Senior Member

Really!:eek:

9. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

That makes sense and can definitely see that happening. Durring a storm with all the snow flying, slush on everything, salt and sand everywhere....i like that play in the system, makes it easy to dissasemble if necessary too for maintenance and work, and easy to clean out all the tight spots as they aren't so tightly bound together.

10. lieutlamson

lieutlamson Member

Some movement is ok but one area I found to be a major concern was where the headgear mounts to the push frame. The pin is a step pin that goes from 1 inch dia. to 3/4 dia. The 1 inch part is suppose to support the headgear and the push frame while the 3/4 comes after and is where the cotter pin hole is located. The problem I found is that between the pin being able to move left to right and the headgear movement can acutally allow the push frame to slide down to the 3/4 part of the pin allowing the push frame to drop on one side or the other and become very sloppy because of the 1 inch hole in the push frame and the 3/4 inch pin its riding on.

By placing a washer on the outside between the headgear and the cotterpin makes the pin tight itself. However both the headgear and push frame still have plenty of movement.