1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Fisher HT Plow

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by monadnock, Jan 18, 2010.

1. monadnock

monadnock Junior Member

I have been plowing for almost ten years with a '99 Tacoma and a Fisher (MM) SD plow. Toyota took the Tacoma back. Plow worked well but did not scrape clean.

Now using a 2010 Tundra with a 2010 HT Plow. It bounces on my 1,700 foot gravel driveway but not the paved one, however it does scrape it clean. I had the dealer add some weight by adding a steel cutting edge as well as rubber deflector. Dip on the front end is another inch (two total); and weight is by about 85 lbs.

Blade bounce is reduced but still there. You must move slower than a walk to avoid bouncing the plow and knocking out the controller. Dealer suggested buying an SD and just pay the difference. He said it is heavier. With the added edge they should be the same. Could the chain make the difference?

Anyone having similar problems with the new HT?

2010 Tundra Fisher HT.jpg

2. leepotter

leepotter Senior Member

Looking good have fun!

3. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Keep it, check out the Fisher Forum- I guess the chatter goes away once the cutting edge wears a little.

4. monadnock

monadnock Junior Member

Fisher Forum

Where is the Fisher Forum? Found Fisher Engineering on this site but no ref to SD vs HT.

5. plowguy43

Yes that is the forum I was talking about. In that forum use the search feature and just type in HT and see what it brings up.

6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Does it chatter less if you turn on scrape lock?

7. monadnock

monadnock Junior Member

scrapelock

Yes I think that it is the scrapelock. In float it shudders and jumps (not on paved). I am thinking it is the downward pressure of the hydraulics that make it do so

8. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

Very nice truck and plow. I just got done plowing with my new Tundra for the first time and it plowed great. I'm very happy with both my new plow and truck.

9. Stik208

Stik208 PlowSite.com Addict

Still havent figured scrape lock out yet. The only way I can think and have tried but am not sure of is put it in float tap it up out of float and then put it all the way down. I didn't use it that way today ill have to check it out next time. Insight?

10. speedy

speedy Senior Member

Off the top of my head, would adding a shock absorber between the plow frame plow frame and the A-frame be of any assistance? Or would that defeat the purpose of any 'trip relief'?

11. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

It's a trip edge plow, so that wouldn't work. It's not tripping anyway, it's chattering/hopping.

Maybe the steep cutting edge angle isn't going to work so well on a lightweight plow......

Does it make any difference if the blade is straight or angled?

12. speedy

speedy Senior Member

What I was intending was for the shock absorber to eliminate the quick vertical chattering movement of the A-frame, but it would have to be a pretty robust shock. I would bet that the edge is tripping somewhat too.

13. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Just to clarify, the HT does not have true down pressure. Scrape lock prevents the blade from lifting, but cannot push the blade down.

I just looked at the Fisher owner's manual for the HT. It does not specify how to engage scrape lock. I'm guessing there are two ways. Release the down button before the float light comes on, or tap the up button when in float.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2010
  14. monadnock

monadnock Junior Member

HT Plow chatter

Thanks all for the help. After speaking with Fisher Engineering and the dealer I have decided to give back the HT and go back to the SD.

Consensus it that the new "aggressive attack angle" is responsible for the digging in and bounce. The other models have a more "laid back" angle. I have to admit this HT was the first time I had cleaned my paved driveway right to the black and it did clean my gravel drive but painfully slow. It did also leave a washboard effect to the drive.

Too bad I sold my 2001 SD plow last year when Toyota bought back my tacoma due to frame rot. I called the dealer and he told me it was only worth $300 to him so I sold it for $500 private.

It was in great shape, I guess I can add this to my list of lifes dumb moves...

plow1.jpg

15. plowguy43

Your dealer lied, they were supposed to give you full retail for the amount of any aftermarket items on the vehicle. If you could've provided proof of its cost, they had to give you that amount.

16. monadnock

monadnock Junior Member

Sorry it was the plow dealer that advised of the value...toyota included the plow value in the total...

I should probably have kept it or sold it at a higher price but as I said we all make mistakes and mine was thinking the price he quoted was genuine..

17. plowguy43

oh ok my bad- the plow dealer was probably right (just like a car dealer when you trade in).

18. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I think your plow dealer lied also. You should have been able to get a grand for that plow in a heartbeat.

19. plowbill

plowbill Junior Member

Hi, Don't mean to jump in where I don't blong but I have an 04 Tacoma with a 6' 9" Homesteader. I can't figure out how the scrape lock works. I see no difference between scrape lock and float I have been to 2 dealers and they have adjusted the ram pressure to 1200psi. This does create some resistance when the plow tries to go up, but it will still collapse the ram. When the plow is in float the same thing happens. If the pressure is lowered the plow will float but there is very little resistance in scrape lock. I wonder if Fisher's scrape lock feature really works? I have a couple of posts on this subject and have received some good advice, but no one seems to know the answer. Thanks!

20. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

I think you will like the new SD. My SD works great on my Tundra. Once you get your SD on we will have the same exact set up, that's kind of neat. Post some pics when you get ypur new SD.