1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Fisher HDX

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by PremierSnowPlow, Dec 4, 2015.

1. PremierSnowPlow

PremierSnowPlow Senior Member

Who's seen it and who's buying one? I kind of like the adjustable attack, but am kind of iffy about it and how durable it is.

2. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

Hadn't heard of this plow until you mentioned it. Went to their site and watched a video. I can see how the blade swiveling might be an advantage, but not sure about the attack angle. I guess only users and time will tell if they're just gimmicks or real benefits.

3. slplow

slplow PlowSite.com Veteran

The attack angle looks to be a pain to change. It's a set and for get it thing. They should have made the moldboard taller like the x blade.

4. PremierSnowPlow

PremierSnowPlow Senior Member

I was thinking the same thing. And I don't know why they're just putting the pivot bar on fisher plows, western has had them for a while now. Being the same companies pretty much..

5. NYH1

NYH1 Senior Member

I was seriously considering the 8' HDX plow. All I ever used was straight blade plows so it seemed like a good plow for my new truck. My dealer was out of them before I had my plow put on. So I ended up going with the 8.5' SS Extreme V.

NYH1.

6. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

You got the better plow. A straight blade can't compare to a V or expanding wing plow.

7. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

I saw one at the local dodge dealer parked side by side with a western contractor grade 8' and i was really surprised how much better built and physically taller the western was than the fisher. I have three x blades and these new ones look poorly made compared my old ones. The attack angle didnt look like that it was all that easy to change.
    I would have rather seen a fisher version of the prodigy than this gimicky plow.

8. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

You do realize they're made by the same company right?

9. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

Yea everyone knows that. Still two completely different plows other than pumps wiring Pistons etc... Just because they have the same parent company doesn't mean they are the same plows. I'm a fisher guy and I was just expressing my disappointment with the new plow.

10. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

Same suppliers, same materials, same plants, just put together with different designs. The only reason I said anything was that I buy new every year.. my new xv2 seems better than last years and the year before....I've seen crap quality control and I've been left with brand new equipment not working...I'm not defending Fisher, just questioning what you're noticing that is poorly made as I had the opposite opinion this season?

11. George C

George C Senior Member

I get where 90plow is coming from.

The design is more of a gimmick than anything else.
    The adjustable attack angle? I mean, who changes the angle when plowing for hours and wanting to finish?
    The articulating design is also a joke. Unless you are plowing the side of a cliff, I've never seen the need for a plow to articulate more than what the standard designs already allows.
    The spring junction point looks like a spot for trouble down the road.

Sometimes, designers are forced to overthink the beauty of simplicity, and I think that's what happened with this design.

12. jshocik

jshocik Member

Thought I'd take a look at what people think of the HDX...getting one installed as I write...wanted to stay with the stainless design as I've had the regular moldboards rot out after a while. Just bought a 2015 Silverado 2500 HD with plow prep package, didn't want to stick an old plow on a new truck. I do like the fact the plow height is 29" like the regular straight blade. I'll see how it goes, if there's problems, I'll let you know.

13. NYH1

NYH1 Senior Member

I completely understand and agree with this now! ;)

NYH1.

14. JFon101231

JFon101231 Senior Member
    from CT

Anyone have any more opinions on these plows yet?
    Anyone hook up a set of the wings yet? They seem pretty slick. Glad they've finally gotten 'on the horse' and fab'd a set of wings for a straight blade!

- I, for one, agree and think the articulating is a gimmick that was unnecessary and bound to create issues down the road.
    - I also don't think I, nor most other people, will change the attack angle
    - I'm not sure how I feel about the blade height yet. I've run both old style HD and X-blade back to back and never felt like I needed/used the higher height on the X or "missed" it when on the HD...

Last edited: Mar 12, 2016
  15. Too Stroked

Too Stroked Senior Member

The main "feature" of this new plow appears to be a whole lot more adjustability. I don't know about you guys, but I have several theories on anything that adjusts:

1) If can be adjusted, it will drift out of adjustment.

2) If it can drift out of adjustment, it will - generally at the worst possible time.

That said, I can pretty much tell you what's going to happen to things like the adjustable angle of attack.

16. JFon101231

JFon101231 Senior Member
    from CT

I'm with you - I think it is taking something simple that worked fine and trying to make it "new" rather than just leaving well enough alone. If they made one with no pivot and no adjustable attack angle I'd be fine with it, only real benefit I see from these is the wings but don't know anyone that has one yet...