1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Fisher Fluid vs ATF

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by dmjr77, Nov 28, 2004.

1. dmjr77

dmjr77 Senior Member

I was wondering what everyone runs in there Fisher Plow? Do you run ATF or the Fisher Fluid? I have 2 SHEP units

2. I ONLY use fisher fluid. Once or twice a year at a cost of maybe 10 bucks, why not? Would you use ATF in your engine?? Just my .02 :drinkup:

3. butters

butters Member

I don't know what Fisher's fluid has in it, but for the peace of mind it might bring and the few times you use it, I would go with it over the ATF. Someone said something in another post about one of the manufactureres fluids having some sort of anti-moisture additive and low temperature rating that your ATF might not have.

I would read the manufacturers spec and see what they recommend. If you go with ATF I would use a synthetic one.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2004
  4. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

Any anti moisture based additive would have to be alchol based because of its abilty to bond with water and oil at the same time and you can get the same "effect" by adding about 1/2 oz or so per quart to your ATF fliud it you want to. I do and have for years.

5. Tim C

Tim C Member

I had my fisher mm tuned up in sept. I was happy to see they finally made the fluid blue. Now if you have a leak you know its not the trany!! :bluebounc
    I would stay with the fisher fluid.

Let it snoooow Tim C

6. jrm123180

jrm123180 Senior Member

I was using that stuff, but then when I drained my system and didn't have the extra money, I switched to ATF. That was was the fisher dealer told me to use

7. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

On my older plow we used ATF for years never had a problem.The fisher dealer actually suggested me using it.My new plow was just flushed by the dealer so i assume they used the actual fisher fluid.

8. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

I plan to stick with Mobile One ATF fluid a with a dash of deicer myself.