1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Fisher 7.5 HD on my 2004 Dodge Ram

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by dss56, Feb 6, 2009.

1. dss56

dss56 Senior Member

I just had a new 7.5 HD plow installed on my 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad 4x4. I had it installed in Portsmouth Ford in NH. All looks good and well the drive home was a bit Hot Hot Hot.

The truck started to heat up to where the check gauges came on. I had to pull over and adjust the blade to a height where it ran hot but I was able to travel about 45-50 on the Highway RT 95. The truck handled great no sagging or front end problems. I plan on making a air foil about 40 inches long that will direct the air to the front of my grill and radiator when the blade is up. I ran the blade about 4 inches off the ground but she still ran hot. The foil will be adjustable so I can get the best position that will help and then lock it in that spot. I will attach it to the blade in a low profile fashion so it does not look out of place. Any input would help. I saw some on here that people posted. Do they really help?

I do have a few questions:

Should I take off the shoes and start wearing in the trip blade so I can get a cutting edge?

When I hit the joy stick for the down position the blade does drop fast. Is this normal?

Also only one connector came with a attached cap for protection. The big power plug. Two of the plugs fit into a protective rubber housing on the plow. The third has nothing. I need caps for the other plugs for protection. They ran the wires so I have to open my hood to make the connections I guess to keep plugs more protected. If I can get caps I will move out to front of grille for easy access. Are cap protectors available for the other plugs or what has other people done to protect the plugs?

any other help appreciated for an old newbie. I did plow many years ago.

2. SKYNYRD

SKYNYRD Senior Member

hey, on the mm2 setup on our dodge only 1 plug goes in the cap when the plow is off the truck. the other 2 plugs get plugged together. without being outside looking at it i can't tell you which ones go together though. we have a fisher steel deflector (not the curved snowfoil) on our plow. we put it on for added stacking ability and to keep the blade from getting buried in deep snow. i couldn't tell you if it helps direct more air towards the grill

3. fisher guy

fisher guy PlowSite.com Addict

hey man congrats on the purchase of the new fisher they're great plows as for ur questions
    1. the 2 plugs that come out of the truck that arent covered plug right in to each other thats what most people do and tuck them inside the grill
    2. most people run them out of the grill so u dont have to open the hood
    3. as for as the blade drop its normal but is adjustable read more on this is in this forum do a search
    4. take those shoes off they make a great paper weight lol if ur doing gravel roads or drives just bump up the blade a lil
    5. it is customary to wear the edge down to about 2-3 inches below the bolt holes so u can probably run the rest of the season on the just the base angle JUST KEEP AN EYE ON IT!!!!
    6. as for the cooling issue when going down the road turn the blade it will let air get to the grill a lil easier

Also keep us posted on how the blade does theirs a lot of useful info on this site and some very knowledgeable people on here

4. dss56

dss56 Senior Member

Thanks for the info on the plugs I will plug them together on the plow and the truck. The motor power cable is the only one that fits into the rubber housing on the mount. There is like a rubber boot housing you just push the plug into. The truck end for the power to the motor hast the protect cap. So that leaves the other plugs on the plow and truck to plug together. Thanks for that info.

Well the only problem I have is the heating on the highway. Hope a air scoop or foil will help. I can't say I have any problems with plowing because I hate to say I need a snow storm to try the plow. We have had enough here in Boston but will take one storm to try the plow. I will keep adding to this posting with my results and the air scoop i will make. I have some machinist who work for me and will come up with something.

thanks for the replies

5. fisher guy

yeah i belive theres one plug on the plow side that just hangs down on mine i havent figured out where it goes yet lol good luck with the thing

6. snow7899

snow7899 Senior Member

Does you plow route take you on the highway? You might not need to make an air foil if your just around town and short highway trips. Driving on 95 sucks with a plow on. I would try it on the next storm before making an air deflector for it. Good luck, and remember to wear down the base angle.

7. QKSnowRemoval

QKSnowRemoval Senior Member

Well congrats on the buy, im curious what did u pay for it installed? cuz this is what im looking at getting, do u like it so far? and have u posted a pic of it yet on the truck if not please do so.

8. fisher guy

he paid 3,995 for it installed unless he got a deal but thats what portsmouth ford is charging no sales tax

9. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

There is Black air damm piece on the bottom of you bumper. Did they cut and put it back on or leave it off? That is part of your air flow to your radiator. Make sure they put that back on. The Diesel dont matter. But I think its an issue with gas engines. one other thing you can do it get an electric fan,

10. dss56

dss56 Senior Member

I had it done at Portsmouth for the 3995$ plus timbrens total $4331.01 no tax.
    The lower plastic reflector I made sure they notched and they did a great Job even mounting the joystick where I wanted It. Like I said I need my first snow storm to report about the plow itself. All in all the Install and wiring was done real neat. It took them just 4 hours for the install. I am a Electrical/Mechanical Supervisor for a Boeing 707 Experimental Plane for the Government. Been in the Electrical field for 32 years so I made sure I checked all the wiring and how it was routed under the hood. I will get some pictures over the weekend and post suppose to be 50 on Sunday here in Boston.

I will keep posting to this thread since I started it.

thanks to all for the replies

11. dss56

dss56 Senior Member

My 2004 Dodge Quad Pictures

Here are some pictures of my 2004 Dodge Quad 1500 With a new Fisher HD 7.5 Blade. Also there are some pictures of a small control box that controls my strobe lights and my reverse lights. I have the reverse light set so I can leave the added one you see in picture off or I can put on so they will come on when I go into reverse. Also another position will give me the reverse lights on all the time. This is controlled by the 3 position rotary switch to the right pos 1 on pos 2 off pos 3 on all the time. The strobe lights will come on with the switch to the left and the red momentary will pulse the pattern of the strobe. All this done in a 4x6 box. All lights are fused and the box is also fused with its own fuse. I ran a 10 wire harness from the back bed near the tail lights down under the bed and along existing harness on the truck using Black Tie wraps they last the longest. I routed the wire through the fire wall where they passed the joystick wire and then wired to the little control box.
    I would be glad to answer any questions. I did remove the shoes so I could wear in the trip edge

DSCN1223.jpg

DSCN1222 2004-1.jpg

DSCN1224.jpg

DSCN1227.jpg

DSCN1228.jpg

Last edited: Feb 8, 2009
  12. fisher guy

wow that looks sweet Portsmouth Ford did a really good job on the install they installed my ice chaser spreader and i must admit they did awesome. Blade looks awesome as well as truck should be a great money maker good luck with it

13. QKSnowRemoval

QKSnowRemoval Senior Member

looks realy good man, and they did a nice install, u cant even see the mount for the plow when its off or that just may be the angel of the picture. but thankx for posting pics.

14. t.i.b

t.i.b Senior Member

wow that plow is real tight to the truck. when i unhook mine i hook the chain to the blade withe 2 carrabeaners through one of the snowfoil holes. ive had the headgear fall back and dent my hood. hope that saves you a headache.

15. dss56

dss56 Senior Member

Need to ask question about locking the blade. I was out there today to find some way to lock the plow or atleast make it so no one can hook on to it. Why didn't Fisher make some type of hole pattern that would allow you to get a good lock and put on blade. I tried all ways to find for a lock position for a good hardened lock and could not find anything . I also had one of those krypto locks for bicycles and could not find any typ of position to use the lock. Any suggestion in adding a lock.
    Next question any painters here? What would be the process of painting 3/16th aluminum? I want to try and make an air foil for the overheating when on the Highway. I have all the aluminum pieces cut just need to put together. If this works well I want to paint it either Black of the Fisher yellow. I don't want the paint to peel of the aluminum. I will at least sand an rough the surface but what to do to keep the paint on. Any suggestions.

thanks

16. SKYNYRD

SKYNYRD Senior Member

i'm not positive on the painting but i believe the proper way is to use a special aluminum primer first. i painted the bottom of the aluminum diamond plate toolbox in my truck by just spraying it and it's lasted threw 3 winters now but i would imagine i just got lucky lol. i believe rustoleum makes stuff for aluminum. good luck, i can't wait to see pics

17. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

I think that pic without the plow on is before the install......or they used clear plow mounts or something! lol

The truck looks great with that plow on there!! Fisher's always a good choice!

18. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

I have never heard of the head gear falling back and hitting hood. I would think the Chain on the plow attached to head gear would stop it from coming crashing back into the hood. All Dodges have the fisher that close to bumper. I have crushed the plate assembly already lol. Anyone else have this head gear hitting hood?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 10, 2009
  19. dss56

dss56 Senior Member

The picture of the truck without plow is a picture before the plow was put on. I had them notch the under cowel where the under carriage frame come out. I have had the plow on and off a few times and don't seem to have a problem or would have a problem with the frame hitting/falling into the hood. I hope it will not happen.

20. Buster F

Buster F Senior Member

I too have had the headgear fall back and hit my hood. It only happened with my MM1 and i solved the problem by using the safety chain to prevent fall back.So far my MM2 has not shown any sign of wanting to fall back into the hood