1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New FG Cabover Plow

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by SD-Dave, Dec 17, 2006.

1. SD-Dave

SD-Dave Senior Member
    from Vermont

As promised here are the pictures and specs of the new truck.

Obviously I am so far quite impressed....

Just to note this truck's versatility allow me to eliminate two vehicles for one much more versatile unit. Yes there are some small compromises but the reality is the one truck now gets year round use, with lower operating costs then the two it replaces. I eliminated a
    F-450 stake body plow truck and a E-350 Van.

If you are not familiar with Stellar Hook lifts.... the bodies can be switched (loaded unloaded) within 2 minutes right from cab, no tools no pins safe warm dry. It also offer the ability to dump at 54 degrees. This unit is rated to lift up to 16K-LBS far more than the truck can handle...For this application I have 4K-LBS of capacity.

Fuso offer a 5yr/175K warranty too!

FUSO FG 140 Cabover Diesel 4x4 14KGVW

Stellar HookLift Hydraulic System

Currently have 3 interchangeable body systems

12' Morgan Dry Freight Body Custom Paint with Stainless Corners
    Used for a Delivery Vehicle Daily

12' Contractor Body with fold down sides and 4 way tailgate
    Used for Property Maintenance, Equipment transport etc. also light dump work

12' A-Frame Steel Platform with Smith 8' Stainless Electric Sander
    Permanent Mounted, fully removable to ground level for easy cleaning

8'6" Fisher X-Blade Plow with minute mount 2 system...works awesome.

Other Rigging
    Twin Strobes
    Rear Back-up Hella work lamps
    Sony 7" Color LCD Screen with BackUp Camera mounted on Rear platform
    Rear Receiver Hitch to weld ICC bumper with brake controller
    24" Steel Tool Box on Left front Corner
    Stainless Simulators

Check it out...I am getting a lot of positive comments. Spreader set up is awesome...no more ties downs, no unloading the unit in and out of the truck bed...much better visibility around it. Love the ability to lower it to the ground in my shop for cleaning lube etc.

View out of this truck do to its height is awesome...better in parking lanes...and can actually see over and around Spreader...vs steel wall I saw out the back of my F450.

I now have additional pictures of other bodies and the Smith Spreader on the ground unloaded if there is interest.

What do you think guys?

SD-Dave wesport

FG Sideshot small.JPG

FG Rear Qtr Shot Small.JPG

2. jazak

jazak Member
    from NJ

I like it. Though with only a 4cyl I would never get one.

3. 4x4Farmer

4x4Farmer Senior Member

not a reel fan of cabovers period. but that thing is SWEET!!!!!

4. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

Wicked truck, I like the back-up camera on the 7" scren idear. At least you can see whats back there. BUT, 4000 lbs is not alot of payload for such a big truck. Ram 3500 chassi cab can do 6000 lbs I belive. Where's the advantage

5. SD-Dave

SD-Dave Senior Member
    from Vermont

Power...I am a huge horsepower fan...so I was skeptical also...but after driving it...it's not too bad...not meant for huge hauling/towing power but I have another truck for that. Low end grunt is really good...you can't stall the damn thing in first gear...just let out clutch and it idles right along. Also for my application huge weight carrying is not the issue just space and versatility. Yes the dodge has more but it has a lot of other limitations...just like my F450. The carrying capacity is similar but the hook lift eats up about 1200+ lbs A trade off but very acceptable for my uses...

Note on the 4 cylinder...I have a loader that is a Turbo 4 also and it kicks butt with surprisingly strong power...so in commercial equipment it is not all V8 Big Block Motors! ps. I really dig the 5yr/175K warranty too...also the easy access to the entire drive-train.

Think of it as more of a Swiss Army Knife of 1 ton pick ups rather than some huge medium duty truck...If thats what I needed I would have bought a GMC Kodiak 5500 with similar set up but I wanted smaller size.

ps. other nice thing is I don't exclusively drive it and therefore it not being a power animal is a benefit both for fuel cost and insurance liability... ;)

6. corey1977

corey1977 Member
    from maine

newfocabover plow

xysport nice truck I want one lol

7. Dodgetruckman731

Dodgetruckman731 Senior Member

Nice truck hopefully it will snow this year so you can use it!!!

8. SD-Dave

SD-Dave Senior Member
    from Vermont

Considering where I am located I would say the chance to use it is very high...that said I am far less concerned than with this truck's overall use...This truck will operate daily regardless of snow/sanding duties...much better ROI than my F450 that got minimal daily use except for snow season and specific property mgt projects.

Unlike a lot of you I plow almost exclusively my own commerical properties...that said I view snow moving equipment like Nuclear Weapons...you sleep better knowing you have them but you hope that you really never have to use them....

that all said I am really eager to see what she will do :D

9. Pearcelawn

Pearcelawn Senior Member

Very nice!!

How is the interior? Is the ride nice enough so that your back isn't broken after a few hours behind the wheel plowing? Like the all around use idea too. Good luck with it!!

10. Oshkosh

Oshkosh PlowSite.com Addict

Nice Rig....

Nice setup.
    I always thought a hook lift would be a good way to go...The truck should last a good long time...

11. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

that truck is so cool looking i want one

12. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

Got pics of the interior? What does the truck tare in its various configurations? What size tires?

13. SD-Dave

SD-Dave Senior Member
    from Vermont

the truck is really a commercial truck...that said it sure isn't appointed like my F-350 lariat that I drive daily but....

Considering that I am 6'5" 250lbs I firstly fit, huge issue for me...

Ride is stiff and wheelbase is somewhat short but its not too much different then my F450.

visibility and maneuvering are awesome...really offsets the small negatives.

Love the standard exhaust brake.

I would like better quality seats (air ride?) and a little more appointments...

I however don't drive it all the time...so what the hey....it's a tool not anything more and it seems so far to get the job done and more importantly a lot of different jobs done.

14. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

My 5500 rides like crap too. I considered a c.o. but the base weight did not leave much carrying capacity... I was wondering if you actually weighed your truck with the spreader set up?

15. doh

doh Senior Member

I love it, the cab over must be awhsomme for plowing.

I just set up a 550 with a Swap Loader and the customer loves it (no plow on it)

He has a sander body,contractors body and a 300 imp gallon fuel tank body

16. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

That is an attractive piece, and like everyone else I'd love to drive it home! I'm surprised you went for the 8'6" and not the 9' that it can surely handle.

Any snow out your way yet?? A mere dusting around here couple weeks back (when we had a momentary cold snap).

Good luck with it!

~Kevin

17. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I would like to see your other bodies as well as some inside shots. by the way what did that whole set up cost?

18. Rowski

Rowski Senior Member

Nice!!

SD-Dave,

Very nice! I looked at one pretty hard when I got the '01 Chevy. The up-fitting wasn't in my budget at the time. I really liked the short wheelbase, great visibility, very easy serviceability.

A few questions:

What is the shortest wheelbase available something like 114", which did you get?

Is the auto trans available? Was told at the time is was going to be discontinued?

How did the central hydraulics get hooked up, engine or transmission, what is the GPM?

Is the plow electric over hydraulic, or run from the central hydraulics?

Was J & B International your dealer?

Thanks!

BTW, where are you located in VT.

Let is snow!!!

Derek

19. SD-Dave

SD-Dave Senior Member
    from Vermont

Let’s see if I can answer all the questions

• Interior Shots no…but I will take some and post along with some shots of truck with other bodies mounted…interior is pretty busy with all the controls and switch gear.

• Tires are 235/80-16 Yokohoma 10ply mud terrain type…pretty beefy …may get a highway rib tire set up for spring.

• I am planning on weighting it tomorrow….I have a guess on the weight with sander body…we’ll see how right I am….figuring a full load of salt will pretty much max me out.

• I agree the hook lift eats up some capacity…but for my intended use…it was acceptable…if I really want to carry more I can always opt for an aluminum dump body but as of now it works fine for my needs.

• I started thinking 9’ plow but Fisher actually recommended the 8”6” for it…and since getting in my shop with a 9’ plow leaves very little margin for error and since it is my secondary plow rig….first is a front end loader with a pusher…it seemed sufficient.

• Cost…not cheap but surprisingly thrifty when you consider I other wise would still have the same equipment plow/sander and then have to own a F-450 and a E-350 cube van. Add up the cost of those and you are well over $80K…I am into this for less and I have one reg, one insurance cost, one maintenance bill etc…plus instead one truck that sees some use and another fairly constant…I now have one that is being fully utilized.

• This unit is the short wheelbase FG it has a 84” C.A.
    • It is Five speed manual…but shifter on dash and 1st gear will creep.
    • Hydro…runs off trans PTO…not sure on gallonage but it is adjustable up to
    check out www.stellar-industries.com for details.
    • Plow is a Fisher X-Blade Electric
    • J&B supplied the truck Iroquois did the body install and fabrication…• Burlington, VT.

• As I said above will post some additional pictures tomorrow…

20. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

That setup is awesome. Really nice truck.