1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New factory gas cap seems to have my truck starting better.

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 70monte, Feb 20, 2010.

1. 70monte

70monte Senior Member

When I first got my 98 K3500 over two years ago it had the original gas cap on it. The clicking part of it didn't work very well and it didn't feel like it was getting as tight as it should so I replaced it with an aftermarket one from the local autoparts store. It has always felt like it wasn't starting quite right, like the fuel system wasn't holding the fuel pressure like it should. It never had to crank and crank to start but it didn't start like my 98 K1500 does which fires up immediately. I replaced the gas cap on this truck a few years ago just for preventive maintenance and used a factory replacement one.

I know the 7.4L has issues with the injectors and fuel pressure regulator and I figured mine were leaking a bit. I decided to try buying a factory gas cap just for the heck of it and now my truck seems to start stronger than before. May just be coincidence.

Has anyone ever had problems with aftermarket gas caps not seeming to hold pressure like they should?

Wayne