1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New F350 Trans slipping

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by LB1234, Dec 29, 2010.

1. LB1234

LB1234 Member

Was plowing for what seemed like days earlier this week in my new 2010 F350 6.4L diesel auto trans. Had to use a combination of 4 wheel low and high due to the 30" plus snow totals. there were about five or six occasions where after I stopped pushing the pile of snow and the truck came to a stop I went to place the trans in reverse. Instead of going into reverse it went right back into nuetral. It was really weird. I'm not abussive on my truck transmissions and I don't go slamming the trans from forward to reverse and back so it isn't like I was rolling forward and trying to get reverse to engage. Curious if this is normal or due to the 4 wheel low/high being engaged at the time...sorry new ford owner and I never had this issue with my previous GM trucks (had the allison trans on my chevy...man do I miss that trans...anyhow)

More alarming...one time I went to place the truck into reverse and it went in...but it was immediately followed up with a high pitced squewling noise...i quickly dropped the trans into nuetral (didn't dare hit the gas) and it went away. didn't happen again. it was really strange....it was almost the same sound as forcing a manual trans into gear...you know the old saying..."can't find it grind it"

Any input on this would be appreciated. FYI...I'm taking this truck into the dealership in another day or two and will mention this to them so they can take a look at it.

2. kashman

kashman PlowSite.com Addict

sounds more like your 4x4 isnt engaging all the way

3. LB1234

LB1234 Member

I dunno bout that. I utilized 4 low and 4 high basically from 2-3 sunday to 7 at night on monday. I would know right away if I wasn't in four...i wouldn't have been able to get anywhere let alone plow snow...I have the stock 18" tires and man did they suck in the snow. maybe I'm misunderstanding you??

I know very little about mechanics on a truck..hence my questions...but wouldn't that be more the transfer case rather than the trans....it came in and out of 4 high and 2WD easily and during most speeds between zero and thirty. 4W low I would only attempt in nuetral and that did fine as well.

4. kashman

kashman PlowSite.com Addict

it would be a tcase or lockout prob tcase but they are hard 2 kill on the fords. but im going with a electrical prob in the tcase

5. millsaps118

millsaps118 Senior Member

I have a 09 F350 cab & chassis with only 12K on it and I have experienced a squealing noise also while plowing deep heavy snow. We just had a 15"+ storm a couple weeks ago and that's when I heard the squealing noise. Its done it 4 other times since then, even plowing light snow 3" or less in 2wd. First time I was plowing in 4hi, come to a stop and it started squealing! Put it in park and it went away, back into drive and it squealed, put it in R and Squeel.....IDK? I'm a new Ford owner also as I too have always (and still do) owned GM trucks.

Brought to dealer yesterday to get an oil change and to see why my check engine light was on and also mentioned to them the crazy squeal. They figured out the oil change, why the engine light was on but had no idea why my trans squeals. Go figure....it's got a blue oval on the grill. :help:

6. LB1234

LB1234 Member

great!! can't wait to hear what the dealership has to say about this one. I'll get the typical "we tested it out and can't replicate the problem" response. I'm just going to make sure it get placed in writing on one of my receipts so if and when it happens again I can drive it back in...hey maybe I can get the lemon law on my side and a new truck in another 10k miles :laughing:

7. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

Hopefully you threw a code...did the tranny light ever come on?

8. millsaps118

millsaps118 Senior Member

That was the exact response I got....I made sure the service writer noted it on the service history. I'll be reminding him about it in another 3000 miles. LOL
    If your directing to me, yes it threw a code, no tranny light. Some sensor (EVAP, MAP..???) was bad. Probably why I was only getting 2.4 MPG while out plowing!!!!!!!!! Couldn't even do my full route on a tank of fuel. This thing was bonging 34 gal tanks like I use to do keg stands back in the day!!!!! I logged 82 miles on the trip and pumped 32 gal on the last outing. Filled her up 3 times for one plowing event last week!!!!!!! Computer also needed new programming updates from a TSB from Ford. We'll see..........:cry:

9. LB1234

LB1234 Member

ouch....that kind of fuel consumption is ridiculous. what are the odds FORD is going to reimburse you the fuel....hey we can all dream can't weThumbs Up

10. Too Stroked

Too Stroked Senior Member

One thing we found with our only 6.4 is that you absolutely have to use the Ford "bra" to cover the front grill. If you don't, snow gets into all sorts of places it shouldn't and all sorts of weird things happened. As counter intuitive as it may seem to cover the main opening to the radiator, it certainly solved all of our problems.

11. LB1234

LB1234 Member

did you specifically have this trans slippage issue...and by placing the grill cover on it solved it?

12. Too Stroked

Too Stroked Senior Member

I don't remember if the truck had that specific issue. All I remember is that the first big storm we ran it in, all sorts of weird stuff happened to it - all because of snow getting where it shouldn't according to Ford. I do remember it basically dropping dead a couple of times - only to restart a bit later. Since we've begun using the bra, nothing weird at all has happened to that truck and it runs like a champ. I'd say it's worth a try.

Anybody else with similar experience with a 6.4?

BTW, placing a bra on any of our other 8 Super Duty trucks is about the farthest thing from my mind.

13. LB1234

LB1234 Member

Well, went to the dealership today and told them about the slipping out of reverse thing. His immediate response was that this was completly normal and is intended so I can't blow the transmission. I kind of gave him that deer in the headlights look...he went on to explain it was a safety mechanism built into the trans so I couldn't ram the truck from forward to reverse and back again. I explained I wasn't doing that. I then explained about the grinding noise in reverse...he admitted that wasn't normal and he will have his guys take a look at it. Pick it up later in the afternoon and written on the ticket is my issue and there response of could not replicate problem, all good now or something like that.

So, no mention of the bra thingy and the snow and no mention of a transfew case or anything like that. I guess it is a wait and see approach.:nod: