1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

new F350 and air dam question

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by f350bob, Oct 10, 2012.

1. f350bob

f350bob Junior Member

Hi all, my new King Ranch F350 needs the push plates installed for my Xteme V plow and I was wondering if anyone has a idea on the cutout size in the air dam under the front bumper. I really don't want a huge hole out of the air dam. anyone have pics or suggestions. thanks bob

2. Morrissey snow removal

Morrissey snow removal PlowSite.com Addict

just unbolt the whole thing thats what i do

3. bleachcola

bleachcola Junior Member
    from se mi

or get a 3in body lift, they are about 400 dollars, and it will raise your body up (including bumpers) but not your frame, should leave enough room to not even cut anything in the airdam.

4. f350bob

f350bob Junior Member

bleachcola: thanks never thought of the lift, but this thing is tall enough.

5. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

It looks nice if you measure and notch it correctly if you remove the whole thing wich I have done often it leaves an ulgy seam that you can see.

6. bleachcola

bleachcola Junior Member
    from se mi

I really would not have it removed all the way, that air dam is very important. on my 08 f350 diesel ford changed the airdam for the job 2 trucks so it was even bigger, resulting in better cooling. that truck had like 8 or 9 radiators (coolers etc) and it was picky with airflow.

7. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

No no no it would look like **** and the bumpers are bolted to the frame. A body lift will not lift the bumpers. Remove and spray black undercoating on the underside of the bumper. It's what I did

8. f350bob

f350bob Junior Member

OK thanks all but I was looking for someone who has the same problem I do, I don't want a shop to "hack" out a 10" section on each side so the install goes easy. How big of a cut out can I ask for? thanks bob

9. eastern

eastern Junior Member

Have the same issue. Thought about removing it but was told the same thing on other forums that the air dam was there to direct air to the coolers. Bro in law made drop plates to put the push plates below the air dam but that was on a GMC and sits a bit higher than ny ford.

10. f350bob

f350bob Junior Member

wow I guess no one know's.

11. eastern

eastern Junior Member

Just saw that the air dams on 2 wheel drive trucks are alot smaller. May look into using one of those.

12. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

I will answer you again. I have done it both ways with NO problems. I dont hack anything If you trim the dam propperly it looks nice If you dont feel comfortable doing it take it to someone who can.Its not a difficult thing.

13. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

we usually ask the customer before we start the install. there are a lot of different trucks with different valances on them so it's hard to just throw out a quick answer for you. on most installs on most recent vehicles we end up cutting the area out below the holes where the tow hooks are. some trucks have a little skinny valance on bottom that we take off and then cut the main part below the tow hooks. some trucks have a valance that would be mostly gone anyway once you cut it out, so we take those off. some trucks have a really big piece that goes way up into the bumper, that wouldn't look right at all if we took it off, so we have to cut them.

14. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

If you are worried about it can you have them take it off and save the bolts. Pick the truck up and hold it up and see how you want it done and cut it your self. My buddy is pretty fanatical about his equipment and we spent a good amount of the morning deciding how to cut his valance. We ended up trimming the hole thing down and itinstead of notching ti and it looks great.