1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

new exhaust system

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by frzfrd32, Feb 7, 2011.

1. frzfrd32

frzfrd32 Junior Member

I've got a 2003 dodge ram 2500 5.7L gas engine. My exhaust system is shot and I've gotta upgrade. What's the best system if I'm going for performance, louder sound, and an improvement in mpg. Any help would be great!

2. bltp203

bltp203 Senior Member

Not sure what you mean by best, but I dropped a cat back Dynomax system in my 2003 and I am pleased with the performance, sound, and I gained about 1-2 mpg. It was also the most reasonably priced at the time as well.

3. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Best bang for the buck is a Jeg's Cat back exhaust - 3" single in to dual 2 1/2" out. The exhaust is made by dynomax and uses all dynomax hardware/muffler/tailpipes. They are just over $200. That is depending on what style exhaust you want though.

Personally I'm going back to stock, I'm getting sick of hearing the truck for hours on end while I'm plowing. With all of the hills we have around here its a constant shifting and droning inside the cab.

4. 04ram1500

04ram1500 Member

I have a BANKS monster exhaust on my 1500. I like it. Not obnoxiously loud but you know that its there. I bought mine from Jegs. I think it was around 580.

It is also 100% stainless steel and warranted for life :nod:

5. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

if its a plow truck reconsider the "loud" aspect of it. waking up customers at 3am while plowing their driveway will not be good for business.

6. frzfrd32

frzfrd32 Junior Member

Thanks for the help. I'm not going for anything too loud but I dont want a quiet system either.

7. Nozzleman

Nozzleman Senior Member

Look at the Aero Turbine 3030xl muffler as a replacement. Use stock pipes and consider an Aero Turbine resonator also. Hemi's are know to "drone" with certain performance mufflers. the Aero muffler/resonator setup is supposed to keep things livable but sound meaner than stock.

Be careful though. Aero also makes a 3030 muffler. The difference is the 3030Xl has a built in resonator. With my suggested setup your truck will actually have two resonators in the exhaust to eliminate drone but it will flow and sound better than stock.

8. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Just an FYI- I just recieved my replacement exhaust from Rockauto. Its a replacement OEM setup that I purchased a Muffler/Tailpipe/Intermediate Pipe (this was rotted but yours may not). All of it with shipping was just over $100, would be about $15 less without the intermediate pipe.

Also - the HEMI exhaust is not restrictive from the cat back, its a full 3" the entire way out. An aftermarket catback will yield no performance gains unless you have a bunch of other modifications done. If you want to get performance from the exhaust, you need to weld in a new Ypipe just before the cat as the stock one is crushed from the factory and is very restrictive. If you do this and add a hi flow cat, you will get some nice results. The stock muffler back exhaust flows fine otherwise.

9. m3klee

m3klee Member

i put the flowmaster dual exhaust on mine and i love it, customers dont seem to mind either

10. My07Brute

My07Brute Senior Member

1st, what is shot on the stock set up?

2nd, any muffler that does not have a res. will drone (you don't want this!!!!!)

3rd the 3030XL is a good muffler but it is loud.

4th I don't think the gas 2500's have a res. (mine does, but it loaded to death)