1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Equipment

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by lordstanley, Dec 30, 2008.

1. lordstanley

lordstanley Member

Got the OK to purchase new equipment today. Should have up to about $30,000. We currently have:
    2001 F350 4x4 with Boss Plow
    2002 F350 4x4 with Boss Plow
    1991? F350 with a rusted plow and a tail spreader
    2004 Bobcat S185 with Angle Broom, Snow bucket, 8' Arctic sectional.
    Two 25 yard dump trailers
    About 56 men with shovels (and 4 men not running machines who I could easily put on one if we had equipment)
    three toro blowers
    One Swisher monster blower
    We also have access to a Wheel loader when needed, backhoe when needed, another pickup for emergencies and a dump truck for emergencies. All of these are limited access and only used 1-2x's per year when a heavy snow happens on a Saturday night to get it clear for church services.

We plow:
    Several city streets mostly low traffic except for one which is moderate (3 east/west) (1 north/south), 13+/- parking lots for about 10,000 cars, a couple alleys, sidewalks around everything, some fenced in equipment storage lots, the roof and entrance to a 600+ car parking garage and everything surrounded by train tracks. Oh and also another building with sidewalks and parking a few blocks away. Would love to post a Google earth image but don't know how. I have about 30 buildings we plow around one of which is a 250,000 sq foot auditorium to give you an idea of size of the campus.

My question to everyone is: What should I buy. Some ideas are a large dump truck/plow. Another skidsteer with another box plow, a couple older trucks, an older truck and a skidsteer, a toolcat, etc.

Would love to get your ideas on what would be the most helpful.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

Hmmmm...

You would think with all that equipment, and work you have there, you would know EXACTLY what to buy next.

Hell, I'm small time, and I know what I need...

3. jimaug87

jimaug87 Senior Member

Is this purely for snow removal? If they are a one function vehicle then maybe a sidewalk machine for all of the sidewalk you have. ATV or small tractor? I know you have $30,000, so with the rest it'd just be however you could move the most snow. Used loader?

4. lordstanley

lordstanley Member

Our trucks are used for everything during the year- trips to menards, scrap metal runs, towing dump trailers to the landfill, etc.

The bobcat right now is basically for snow removal- but I'm sure we will find some use for it in the summer- mostly street cleaning and some minor demolition work.

The new item(s) would be great if we had year round use- had given some thought to a telehandler or UTV, Toolcat, or medium size pickup to reduce fuel, but I need to get LOTS of snow out quick before lots fill up so that brings me back to straight snow. T

he skidsteer does wonders on the sidewalk so I would rather add another than a sidewalk machine.
    I saw those sidewalk machines while visiting my wife's family up in Niagara Falls, Canada last week, those things are wild to me.

5. lordstanley

lordstanley Member

How useful would a loader be for snow removal?

6. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

sounds like you have a lot of labor in sidewalk shoveling, id consider a few atvs or tractors to elminate that many labor issues. tool cat is nice in some situations, but unless you have lots of need for its exact use, it seems pricy to me for what it really is

7. lordstanley

lordstanley Member

When you say ATV are you referring to a 4 wheeler or something else like a Kubota, or something all together different?

8. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

I agree about the sidewalk labor. How about a smaller JD or Kubota factory cab tractor with a blade, or snowblower on the front? That would seriously reduce the sidewalk labor..

9. mr.muddmotors

mr.muddmotors Junior Member

which issues are the most problems, the excessive sidewalk labor, or the large lots that need cleared?

10. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I agree somewhat with bladescape, but.....I think you need a bigger truck next. I'm not sure how you can even do your route with the 2 1/2 pickups you have now. I would work a deal to use the loader more, buy a push box for it. Next, a F550 size truck with a wing. I'm guessing sand/salt isn't important where you are. If it is, nice 3 or 4 yard hydraulic spreader on the F550. Depending on the year and condition of the truck you buy, money is gone. I would personally buy an older truck that hasn't plowed and set it up with new or slighty used equipment just the way you want it. Go central hydraulics. You've got the manpower to handle the sidewalks now. I presume you can turn a profit on that component, so leave it the way it is.

11. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

I would start with an old municipal truck. You can find those in decent shape for less than $10K. From there, I think you know what you need.

12. In2toys

In2toys Senior Member

Exactly... You need to invest the whole thing in a small company called, The Repair Guy Inc In Colorado. PM me & I'll let you know where to send the check.purplebou:yow!:

13. elite1msmith

from chicago

56 guys with shovels? thats a TON of labor... i have alot of guys on my staff, and everyday i try to cut itdown shorter

ATV- 4 wheeler? they are a pretty good option. In my personal opinion, i think a tractor does a better job, and normally a tractor has other options , or things like blowers, hydrolic blade, ... but the biggest advantage with an ATV is if your accounts are with in a couple blocks, or even a few close miles, you can just drive it site to site

if your accountsarefarther away, to the point were you have to trailer the machin around

then id consider a tractor instead. I use to use a deere 425 that worked great, also a 935, and an 1445 . it all depends on how wide your walks are , and how your going to transport things around

a loader or another truck isa decent option , but at this point you have proven you can get it done with what you got. So unlessyou need the back up truck, or loader, I would be looking to cut operational costs. I bet those 56 guys on yoru staff cost more than all your plow drivers combined

14. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Just out of curiousty Lord, what is your position at this company?

15. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

My guess is that he's one of the 56 guys with a shovel :rolleyes:

16. DGODGR

DGODGR Senior Member
    from s/w co

elite1msmith is on track here. Manpower has the highest overhead, most problems, and over all are the most unreliable. I bet you coud'nt find a single buisness owner that would say that they could'nt increase profits and reduce hassles by buying a machine to reduce the size of the workforce.

17. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

just a thought but i think he meant 5-6 guys with shovels. i hope anyway :dizzy:

if he has 56 guys with shovels and he doesnt know what to buy next something smells fishy here. what does he do drive them around in a bus?

this all kinda sounds like a joke anyway

18. elite1msmith

from chicago

id be willing to bet your correct

19. dieseld

dieseld Senior Member
    from 90210

That is funny right there, I dont care who you are.

20. elite1msmith

from chicago

lol......just ask jd