1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

new equipment advice

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by stevebiecko75, Jun 13, 2009.

1. stevebiecko75

stevebiecko75 Junior Member
    from chicago

Hi guys,
    i am employed by a large self storage facility outside chicago il. For work purposes, we require a 3/4 ton truck. We use this truck mostly to park large boats and campers, however we also use the truck to plow the facility as well as our other location and a few side jobs. We are shopping for a new truck. As neither a ford/gm or dodge guy, i would like your thoughts and the 'best' truck for the largest plow possible. Owner will not be interested in after market airbags or other custom suspension mod's. This will be a truck the company keeps 4-5 yrs and then trades in on the next.
    My choices are basically any 'big 3' truck, 250/2500 with 'plow prep' and trailer 'tow package', 4x4 and auto transmission. No extra cab, standard bed. Hose out interior.

What do you guys think? i need the biggest blade possible, as we have many long straight runs. (Think huge 10 acre commercial lot) the current truck which is about to be traded in has a western poly 8' blade, which worked great, but i NEED BIGGER. i was bummed a few years back to learn that wings won't work on a poly blade.
    We have several reputable dealers of all major brand plows nearby, so i need advice as to manufacturer as well. Most of the nearby dealers stock several brands.
    More questions:
    Whats the deal with the v plows? any benefit to 'scooping snow'? Almost all my runs are straight, and i pile snow at the end of each run (and have plenty of room to do so), so i don't think i need to 'scoop' do I?
    i also saw something about a western expandable? whats up with that? i assume that's hydraulic wings? i wouldn't necessarily mind getting out to add or remove 'snow wings' so are their any other bennies to that plow?

So in short, guys your advice/opinion please about which truck make, Ford Gm or Dodge, (seems to be most reliable or suited) and which is the biggest/sexiest/heaviest plow make and model i can 'safely' get installed on that make of truck.
    I assume that all priced in the same ball park.
    We will also be using a tailgate spreader, so ballast shouldn't be an issue for me as i keep salt bags in the bed.

2. Chrisxl64

Chrisxl64 Senior Member
    from CT

Ok in short I'd recomend a Ford 350 as it really isn't much more than a 3/4 ton. And if you are doing tons of long straight runs I'd have to recommend a blizzard powerplow 810. It's basically a much faster push box. Though I was at a dealer this week and got a demo of the new Mega Blade Revo and I must say the thing is WICKED. You'll def need the 350 though. Weighing in at 1000+ plus mounting.
  3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Well, the truck part is easy. What ever you get the best deal on. I agree to move to the one ton, single rear wheel. Reg cab, gas engine, no options, is going to give you the most available "payload" on the front axle. As for the plow, look around and see what you like. Service is definitely the most important part. You want a dealer with lots of parts in stock, and a seasoned staff. A Fisher 9.5 XV with wings is going to move some serious snow. The Revo does look pretty cool, unfortunately there's alot to go wrong there if it's a brand new design. And there's a thread on here somewhere for a box pusher on a pickup.
  4. snocrete

snocrete Banned

I do a couple self storage facilities, and I would recommend a power plow of some sort....wideout,xls,blizzard.........but there is no compensating for a true pusher box at these locations for me........one of them usually gets done by a SS with a 10ft pusher.....and the other (which is the smaller one) I usually do with my 1 ton and wideout.........the SS w 10fter is faster than the truck, not by much, but it is faster.
  5. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

For storage place
    you would need

F250 or F350 with
    HEAVY DUTY tow package
    snowplow package
    4.10 or 4.30 in gear for axle
    engine V8 5.4L or V10 6.8L or diesel 6.4L
    Stabilizer package
    Manual locking hub don't get ESOF it useless.
    Have them put underbody Coat which is THICK grease that prevent rust.

Best is have V plow or one with wing that keep snow in plow not fall behind plow.

I have plow storage lot before you would wish that you have V plow.
  6. EFR Landscaping

EFR Landscaping Junior Member

I am selling the perfect truck for you . 2008 F250 xlt all loaded up 10000gvw package with a 9.2 boss vxt $36k 14000 miles you can see my ad in the free marketplace for truck options its loaded...
  7. stevebiecko75

stevebiecko75 Junior Member
    from chicago

sorry the BOSS will never pay for an XLT. 250 xl's are going for $25k out the door right now.

would a vxt fit on a 'stock' f-250 without the 10k gvw package?
  8. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

Yes but have them put strong spring on front axle so it won't SAG when lift that huge plow.

$25K that lot cheap.

For here what we want
    F250 4wd XLT V10 4.10 gear
    tow package
    XLT or Lariet
    fancy stuff

Cost $35K for non ford employees but for ford employee it $30K
  9. EFR Landscaping

EFR Landscaping Junior Member

I used timbrens in the front of my truck and it worked fine..