1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Engine?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Wesley's Lawn, Apr 1, 2003.

1. Wesley's Lawn

Wesley's Lawn Senior Member

Hi guys, its time for me to replace the motor in my 86 K3500, it has a 350 in it but i can get a 305 for free from a guy we race with.

My question is will the 305 have good power for plowing and if any of you have one that you use for plowing?

Thanks for any info.

2. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

it would probably be fine for plowing only. Dont plan on accelerating very hard while loaded or towing,you should be fine.

3. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

I agree with John, he knows his stuff, but if I were you, I'd try to stay with the 350 if at all possible. As long as your changing the motor, how about going with a nice 454? :eek: I just cant see downsizing from a 350 to a 305. Mike

4. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

I have a 65 C30 with a hi torque 292 inline 6.That truck will pull anything,not fast,but its a torque making fool. The 305 will be adequete.If plowing is all its doing,its plenty,and its free. In all honesty,if it were mine id skip the 454 and go with a strong 400 SB. Properly built 400 SB's can really haul the mail,they are gettting hard to find now,but I had 2 of them,and they willl give a 454 a run for its money every time.I never found a 454 that could pull with my 400,but i did have some engine work done,mild porting,intake,headers/duals,and a nice RV grind for comp cams.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2003
  5. tileman

tileman Member

No way would I give up ci even if it is free. This looks to be your main truck , you will miss the ci. If you need to swap them out so you can rebuild the 350 ok. Bore the 350 20 over a good mid range rv cam new bearing and rings maybe a set of rods and piston. Now you have a great plow and tow truck. Don't give up the cubes.

6. VictoryRedK1500

VictoryRedK1500 Member

If you decide to go with a replacement 350, you might want to give Jasper a look. I've heard very good things about their engines, unlike the engines from auto zone and such. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

7. Wesley's Lawn

Well i would like to stay with the 350 but i dont have alot of money to spend and the this isnt the orginal motor we replaced it because my dad fried the org and the one thats in there now is a POS it has no power and i had to take the head off to fix a valve then it blew a head gasket on that same head with less the 1000 miles on that head gasket and it burned the deck down between 3 and 5 cyl. I dont have alot of time to dickaround in findinga motor the grass season is comming up and my vans tranny went out so i need something now with basicly no money. So that throws out the posibility of rebuilding the motor and buying a rebuilt one of the same size.

8. tileman

tileman Member

OK go ahead and drop the 305 in for grass season. I understand where you are coming from. With the problems you are talking about the 305 may have more hp than the tired 350. I have run 305s and 350 for years. If you can afford it before the snow flies try to get a good 350 for plow season.
    And yes the 305 will pull the trailer may lose a little on take off and up long hills, but you will be fine.

9. Wesley's Lawn

Yea i just need something now tileman my plan is to get a another truck by the end of grass season so even with the 305 it would just be a good backup truck. The 350 i guess had problems we just rubilt it with rings and gaskets no machine work or nothing major, and the 305 came out of a race car we run during the summer it has pleanty of power and is a good motor only has like 60k on it but that 350 never had any power and was slow on accelaration without a trailer or plow. What i want to know is why the head gasket went with less then 1000 on it.

10. tileman

tileman Member

OK Wesley: blowen gasket between 3 and 5, and you said you repaired or replaced a valve? Did you have the head check for crackes or burn out from valve seat. Or there could be a problem with the intake manifold, carbon build up under the pan on the under side of the intake. To much heat. What type of head gaskets did you use. Name brand. One last thing the head could have been warped.
    All of this is with out seeing what you have .

11. Wesley's Lawn

I checdk the head for cracks when i rebuiltit at school, I dont think it was cracked it coulld have been warped, we use name brand i belive it was a fel pro but i dont remeber my dad bought it from a good engine rebuilder around here. i just started pullin the motor today and about 3/4 done.

12. ToyotaPower

ToyotaPower Senior Member

Look into Jasper engine, stick with a 350. They are turn key engine built the way you want them especially for plowing. The engine comes with warranty years and miles.:waving:

Try looking at their website...

13. Tommy10plows

Tommy10plows Senior Member

why buy re-built anyway?

Why buy somebody's re-built re-sleeved, re-tapped whatever when you can go to your local Chevy dealer and get a brand new GEN YOO WINE GM crate motor, 350 version for about $1300.00 long block? These motors are made in Mexico by GM, 4 bolt mains, with boss for mechanical fuel pump and all tin.

3 year 50K mile from the General himself.

Just getting two for my boat right now, can't beat the price and the warranty is good for motor vehicle, but not for marine use.

That is the best deal in the whole world, all you need is an intake manifold, distributor, carb, and your old exhaust manifolds and hang on stuff.

14. Wesley's Lawn

Noy yo rag on you guys but if you would have read the whole post, i dont have any money to put into buying a new motor right now i cant afford a new or rem engine. This winter killed me and i have alot of stuff i ahd to pay for so i have pretty much no money, cant wait till i start cutting agian.

15. wyldman

wyldman Member

The 305 will do just fine for plowing.If you really need the power,stick it in 4LO.

I've had several 305 plow trucks,never any worse than a 350,except for a few camshafts wearing out.

16. ToyotaPower

ToyotaPower Senior Member

If you are getting the engine for free or getting a deal on it. Take it and install it, then run it until it die...If you get a season or two out of it well worth the time it took to install 305.:waving:

17. 86burban

86burban Senior Member
    from chicago

I had a 2wd Suburban w a 305 n used it for plowing. 226,000 miles on the original motor n trans n the trans gave out about 3/4 of the way thru the second season we ran it. originally owned by a co worker n he donated it to the school for plowing w the plow on it. Rusted like the dickens but still runs to this day. Starts first time every time. Only been sitting two months. We are going to take it in for a new trans in about a week.

18. dillyolboy

dillyolboy Member

Wesley You said the 305 came out of a race car. So I assume it is turned up a bit. And you said it had plenty of power. Since plowing is more limited by traction than power I don't think it will be a problem. O well if you get it for free you can't go wrong IMO.
    Tommy why are you putting a stock motor in your boat? I would throw some stiffer valve springs, better valves, etc on there first. Boats are different than cars cause they have to run wide open all the time. JMO
    Those long stroke inline 6 motors are max. My sister has a Ford 300 I6. It only has 140 horse but it runs up hills like a scared cat cause of the torque. Also gotta love the over head cam as in the new 4.2 from GM. High revving HP and low end toque :nod: Has anyone used a stroker kit for a 350? I think it has a different crankshaft which gives a longer stroke so you end up with 383 CI and lots of torque.

19. Re: why buy re-built anyway?

*******Warning! The GM crate motor you mention is from ATK!
    Yes, it does have the GM name on it but it is still an ATK product built at their Monterey, Mexico plant.

If you don't belive this post then call ATK yourself and ask them about it (1-800-421-3746).

Sorry you bought TWO, but I'd rather be towed than install another ATK product!

Check all the groups for ATK feedback.

IF you do install these engines in your boat then you will need to remove the silver freeze plugs and replace with some quality brass ones. You will be removing the tattletale heat fuse in the process but you don't have any warranty ability so nothing is lost.

Good Luck!

20. NoStockBikes!!

NoStockBikes!! Senior Member

The two greatest words in the english language: free. :D What, only one word? Say it again. Put that sucker in there and run it 'til it can't.

$1500 earned minus cost of free motor= $1500. $1500 earned minus cost of $1500 motor = keep working if you think you want to eat this week. :nod: