1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New electrics -vs- older style engine-driven hydraulics

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by sbt1, Sep 8, 2007.

1. sbt1

sbt1 Member

Guys, I haven't had a plow in a long time... but back in the day, the engine-driven hydraulics had it all over the electric pump plows. Specifically, Fisher hydraulics -vs- Meyer electrics; the Fisher went up when you hit the toggle and never had to worry about it, unlike the Meyer which constantly drained the trucks batteries.

Have the mfr's overcome the problems with all-electrics? I don't think anyone makes engine-driven hydraulics anymore... maybe showing my age!!
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I loved the old Fisher hydro,used it with a stick ,so I had the clutch in, foot on gas and shift in reverse all at once.

I think it all electric now.
  3. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

:dizzy: What are you talking about:dizzy: ...lol

My "74" sno-commander came from the factory with "engine-driven hydraulics"
    and It was a Meyerxysport

It was nice well kind of..lol

Electric over hydraulic is the way of the future.
    Your showing your age there.;)
    I to liked the feeling of actually actuating the valve to make some thing move.
    It is easer to have it "fly-by-wire"
    It makes for a much more relaxing experience Plus they pretty much have the bugs worked out of them.
    I'm running a 9yr old boss and the electric motor is still running......
  4. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

I put a belt drive system into a brand new truck last week. Electric clutch pump and solenoid valves.
  5. CNY Plow

CNY Plow Senior Member

I started in the "day" when electric hydraulics weren't thought of.
    I like the speed of electric hydro - it doesn't slow down when the truck slows down.
    it does take some warming-up in sub-zero weather though.