1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New electrics -vs- old engine-driven hydraulics

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by sbt1, Dec 2, 2006.

1. sbt1

sbt1 Member

I'm a huge Fisher fan! Dad had one and that thing would go thru anything. It was on a 1971 Chevy K20, with engine-driven hydraulics. Never any problems.

Jump ahead 5 years ('76 on) to several trucks with Meyer electrics... geez oh whiz, talk about problems (besides the Meyer full trip issue)... truck would die of no electricity everytime you tried to lift the plow. Tried double batteries, not much help.

So, my question: are today's electrics (I assume you can't get any current plows with engine-driven hydraulics?) as good as the old 1970's vintage Fisher equipment?
  2. Plowski

Plowski Junior Member

For reference, my experience has been:

20 years running a Fisher 8' Speed Cast with engine-driven hydraulics, and
    the last 4 years running a Fisher 8.5' EZ Vee with electric hydraulics.

I loved the old Speed Cast. I carried an extra belt and a couple of pins and felt like it would never fail. In twenty years the extent of my plow breakdowns were:

One pin hole leak in a hydraulic hose. I wrapped it with tape and put a hose clamp on it and finished the storm.
    One loose connecting pin due to a lost clip. I zip tied the pin in place and finished the storm.
    Zero problems with the pump, belt or hydraulic controls.

The current electric system has been reliable so far. The plow movements are much faster with the electric; this is the major advantage over the belt-driven system. I have plow prep on my 02 Chevy truck which includes a larger, 130 amp alternator and I have dual batteries to help with the added electrical load. I spend a little more time on routine maintenance on the electrical system (plow and truck side), making sure connections are clean and tight. The connections between the truck and plow can be a weak spot if you don't keep up with the dielectric grease.
  3. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

As nice as the old belt driven setups were, this is the way of plows now. If you're plowing today with a light duty truck, you're using an electric over hydraulic setup. It makes the most sense, IMO.
  4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

The best setup was a belt driven plow with a manual transmission. You would give it some gas put the clutch in as you raised the plow and put it in reverse at the same time.