1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New electric Swenson spreader

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Italiano67, Dec 2, 2005.

1. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

I just bought the new 7 ft Swenson LPV electic spreader yesterday and ran 4 loads thru it. I am pleased so far as it did not have any problems with starting with a heaped load. The gate and chute have to be wide open in order to get a sufficient amount of material. I would say that maybe my other gas snoway unit was a tad faster but it is hard to tell with with a poly spinner.I am so used to hearing the salt deflect of the metal spinner to tell me if enough is coming out. If I would change anything it might be conveyor speed a touch.I love the simplicity and the quiet running of the unit. Especially at night by condos and apts. I paid 3200 plus tax and 150 installation. What do you guys think? Did I overpay?It is a powdercoated unit.

2. echovalley

echovalley Senior Member
    from CT

Were are the pics? come on lets see it in action.Is it a dual or single electric motor

3. Joe Lombardo

Joe Lombardo Member

I just picked up a 1 yard Downeaster, electric a week ago, finished getting it all hooked up and waiting for an opportunity to use it. I am glad to hear that yours worked well for you, I looked into purchasing a LPV from a dealer in New Hampshire and he tried to talk me out of buying the electric model so I bought the Downeaster instead and saved a few dollars as well. Good luck with yours..

4. gene gls

gene gls PlowSite.com Veteran

I have a 1.5 Downeaster, going on third year. Hooked it up this afternoon,all works fine.

Gene

5. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

It has a single electric motor. I am thinking about just changing to a slightly smaller sprocket on the drive for the apron chain. That hopefully speeds up the output a little bit.

6. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

Has anyone changed the conveyor drive sprocket to speed it up even slightly on your electric spreaders? I am considering doing that on the Swenson LPV.

7. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

Well guys I downsized the drive sprocket from a 60 tooth to a 48 and it works slick. The spinner throws it farther and the conveyor is a bit faster as well. So far no troubles on starting with a load. Keeping fingers crossed.