1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

new elec motor...now fish stick inop

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by nalegtx, Dec 5, 2013.

1. nalegtx

nalegtx Senior Member

i put a new fisher motor 21500K PN, prior to this the motor was junk but the controls worked in all directions, old motor was noisy........now the new motor is all connected and the fish stick controller is inop. I have to repeatedly press the button in the direction i want rathe than just holding it down like before....any ideas???!?!?!?:confused::dizzy:

2. performanceplus

performanceplus Senior Member

What kind of plow?

3. nalegtx

nalegtx Senior Member

fisher MM1 with an Insta-Act system

4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Does the solenoid click when u just press once?

5. nalegtx

nalegtx Senior Member

yes it does....everything was working fine before the motor swap....i've heard the 3-pin plow side harness is a known issue...internal broken wires and such....had a few similar hiccups last year but never was this bad...

6. nalegtx

nalegtx Senior Member

Local dealer said it sounds like my pump went....but the plow worked before the new motor....press and hold any direction n she went smooth ...now you have to continuously tap the button in the direction you want it to go, moving just a little every time you tap.....only down works smooth....ahhhhhh!!!

7. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

So what happens if you just press the clicker as normal?
    Did the install go nice and smooth?

8. buddymanzpop

buddymanzpop Senior Member

Grounded?

When you replaced the motor did you reconnect the ground wire that runs the from the valve coils to the ground stud on the new motor?

9. buddymanzpop

buddymanzpop Senior Member

Also, does the fishstick power up and is the new motor getting power to it? As far as the three pin harness look where the wire meets the grill plug, that's where they usually break.

10. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

I think your motor/hyrdraulic setup is similar to the untramounts, if it is I know when I out motors on sometimes it was a pain in the ass to get the motor shaft to drop onto the pump shaft and keep the armature inside the brushes. Are you sure the pump is turning when the motor is spinning?

11. nalegtx

nalegtx Senior Member

the install went smooth...no problem...the armature was secured in place in the box with a retaining brace...i removed the brace, supported the armature and motor assembly while installing it. The motor and pump lined up no problem, dropped right into place. I spun the armature by hand and could feel it making contact with the pump index and then spinning. The ground wire to the motor ground stud from the solenoids was broken, but i repaired it with heat shrink butt connector...very tight connection and very solid i checked multiple times. All grounds were clean and tight. All power connections are clean and tight. I even went from the solenoid all the way to the plow side for all power/ground. I was in a baby class all day and never got a chance to play with it...thanx for the responses guys...i am going to play with it before work tomorrow morning
    Oh, the fish stick powers up as normal. When you press the left/right/up button the plow jerks quickly in that direction, but then stops moving as you continue to hold it (as u usually would depress and hold the direction desired) but the motor just continuously whines with no plow movement. You must constantyl tap the dirction in which you want to plow to go for there to be any movement. It only moves slightly in that direction with each tap, usually moves as soon as you let go of the button before tapping it again...i'll try n get u a video link

12. nalegtx

nalegtx Senior Member

truck side or plow side of the harness?

13. nalegtx

nalegtx Senior Member

yea so the labels on my new elec motor are placed on the wrong posts....+ was labeled as negative and vise versa....never seen that before...n e way reversed the wiring and she lives to plow...thanx for everyone's insight n help...MERRY XMAS TO ALL AND TO ALL A SNOWY NIGHT!