1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Duramax Exhaust

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by THREE W, May 9, 2007.

1. THREE W

THREE W Senior Member

We currently have a one ton dually on order with the duramax, I know this has a new exhaust system that cleans the exhaust.

My question does anybody have one of these yet, and how does the system purge to burn off the buildup in the exhaust resevoir.

My concern is this vehicle is a fire truck, and has to go into wheat fields and grass area, I hear a rumor that this "purging" causes the exhaust temp to go very high. If this is true it would be very dangerous to enter those areas.

The dealer is not sure either, and they claim the system will not purge unless the vehicle is driven faster than 30mph for at least 45 miles, and over time if the system does not purge itself you have to take it to the dealer to be purged, dealer says he thinks?? about every 1000 miles. Dealer says if not purged the motor will stop, but no one seems to know how long this takes, 5 miles, 10 miles? what if your a long way from the dealer?

Like to hear from someone who has one. Thanks

2. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

I would check out dieselplace.com The techs and owners of the LMM engine will be happy to help you with this one. These guys know the duramax extremely well.

3. William B.

William B. Senior Member
    from S.E. IA

Exactly what Yaz said.

4. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

sounds like to much of a headache. think ill stick to gas. i dont like doing or worrying about any more than i have to.
    and something like that would annoy the hell out of me.

5. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

I was talking to one of the GM mechanics that has been working on my stuff for years and he said the new Duramax exhaust temp is around 1800 degrees. He said it would light a sheet of paper holding it two feet away from the tailpipe.

6. William B.

William B. Senior Member
    from S.E. IA

Probably when it goes through the regen process. It has to heat up and burn off all the carbon in the exhaust system. Thats why there is that weird tail pipe. It helps get more air in and cools the exhaust as it leaves the tailpipe. Atleast thats what I've read

7. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

Trying to burn off all the carbons and now they are putting particulate catchers in the exhaust to catch the big chunks.

8. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Get used to it boys. EPA is here to stay. By the way, ever plow with a electric truck? lol
    You young guys probably will someday.

9. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I've had my NBS in a few wheat fields and nothing happened. You don't want to go in a wheat field with high stubble with any vehicle. My truck regens about once or twice every tank and apparently it won't regen at stand still, only over 30 mph. All the new diesels have dpf's and I love my truck, I'm not sure about the other makes. I was a little worried about it starting a fire too, as I am about any truck entering a wheat field.