1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New driveway rig

Discussion in 'Jeeps' started by ShorePower, Nov 3, 2011.

1. ShorePower

ShorePower Senior Member

Picked up this 93 YJ 3 weeks ago, for my driveway route. 4.0 with blown tranny. Installed a rebuilt T999 out of an 87. This weekend's task is to install crank sensor relocate kit to front balancer and mount the Meyer 7' plow I just picked up. I figure the jeep should increase production time on the driveways by 30%. Quad cab pick ups are not meant to plow drives. jeep pic 2.jpg

jeep pic 2.jpg

2. BigDBoots

BigDBoots Senior Member

any plans for some new leaf springs up front??? It looks pretty squished down... best of luck

3. ShorePower

ShorePower Senior Member

Definitely. After I install the plow and check the sag I will send it to the spring shop to be fixed. I didn't want to do anything until I have the blade attached and use a level to see where the truck height needs to be.

4. Hubjeep

Hubjeep Senior Member

5. Dubl0Vert

Dubl0Vert Senior Member

Smart move...why guess when you can see for sure. Thumbs Up

6. bschurr

bschurr Member

Nice rig - keep us posted on the build...

7. ShorePower

ShorePower Senior Member

All ready for snow. Not sure if we will see any, being it's in the mid 40's for the next 7 days on Long Island.
    2011-12-11 11.02.47.jpg

2011-12-11 11.02.58.jpg

Had 2 leafs added up front, 1 in rear. The original springs were re-arched at a a local spring shop. Jeep sits about 3 inches taller than before. Rides better also.

2011-12-11 11.02.47.jpg

2011-12-11 11.02.58.jpg

8. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Mmm dont you need a plow on the front of that to be "All ready for snow"

Looks good if not cold with the soft top.

PS I have a hard top and hard doors for that jeep for sale. ;)

9. ShorePower

ShorePower Senior Member

Don't worry, the blade is good to go. I have a 7 ft ST series that I just finished repainting. Installed new angle rams, fittings and hoses. I haven't taken the pics of the blade yet. The jeep is drafty to say the least. As long as the heat is on full blast, it stays warm though. I need snow before I spend another dime on the jeep . I only use my 2 plow vehicles for the 3 months in winter. Otherwise they are off the road. But here in NY , between DMV fees to register them, commercial auto insurance,and liability policy that actually covers plowing, I'm going to need another winter like last year to make it worth it.

10. ShorePower

ShorePower Senior Member

Build Update

Installed the strobe warning lights on the jeep this weekend. 6 Hideaway strobes . One Federal signal Highlighter LED at the rear. I was able to fab up a removable light pole using the rear spare tire bracket. The light is mounted to 16 guage sheet metal base, welded to a 2 ft rigid Galvanized pipe. The pipe thread into a coupling that I welded on to the spare tire carrier. The light connector plugs is inside the pipe. After I'm done plowing the light is removable. Leaving nothing in plain sight
    . jeep light on.jpg

Jeep light.jpg

jeep light bracket.jpg

jeep light on.jpg

Jeep light.jpg

jeep light bracket.jpg

11. Aveerainc

Aveerainc Senior Member
    from NH

Nice jeep and plow! You'll have a blast plowing driveways with it. And just remember to remove the light bar if you decide to pull her into the garage to troubleshoot a plow issue.

12. Plow man Foster

Plow man Foster PlowSite.com Addict

the light is a cool setup but why didnt you make it shorter??

13. Hubjeep

Hubjeep Senior Member

Nice rig. That crank sensor on crank pulley sounds interesting, got any pics? I don't know much about YJ autos, did they change the model transmission between 1987 and 1993, or just add the spot for a CPS due to the 4.0L?

I also live on Long Island, in Oyster Bay.

Where did you find the Jeep/plow? craigslist?

14. ShorePower

ShorePower Senior Member

The light is actually only a few inches higher than the center of the top. It is on a rigid pipe 24 inch long. I can always change to an 18 inch if needed.

15. ShorePower

ShorePower Senior Member

Found Jeep on Craigslist in Northport NY
    Transmission on Craigslist in Yonkers NY
    Plow on Craigslist in New Jersey about 2 hrs away from me.

The transmissions in the fuel injected YJs is a model 32RH. After a lot of research I found out that the tranny is still a t999 from many years before. The bell housing was just modified to make a spot for CPS to pick up reading off the flywheel. If I had known the tranny I was buying from the guy in Yonkers was incorrect, I probably would not have gone thru the hassle. But I bought it before removing the old one . The guy had a few jeeps on site. He swore that it was the one I needed for the 93. Lesson learned. It ended up costing me an additional 350.00 for the CPS relocate kit with new balancer. Then another 150 for a new Torque converter. But since I had already bought the tranny, I was stuck.