1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

"new" driveway plowin tractor setup

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by BushHogBoy, Jan 18, 2005.

1. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

Not quite done with it yet. I started on this yesterday evening. I had a couple of blades layin around and some scrap steel. So what do you do? Well you start choppin and weldin :drinkup:

Modified the front blade's frame to snap into the quick hitch on the tractor (right below the engine) I have the lever to angle it from the seat, its out back somewhere. Got to hook that up and mount an electric winch on the blade frame or tractor's front quick hitch, to lift it up and down. I can add weights for downpressure, but it can still float. It has a trip spring on it as well. 48" wide.
    Rear blade started out life as a front blade for a John Deere tractor. I just dismounted it from its frame and welded two vertical supports to it, then welded on two 32" peices of angle iron and welded a lift arm to that, then welded a 3/4" steel rod between the long bars closest to the tractor, that mounts into the quick hitch on the rear axle. I am going to put angled wings on this blade, or else extensions with box ends. As it is it is a 42" blade. I'll probably pop it out to at least 48" if not 54" or maybe even 60". It will be for backdragging away from garage doors and such, and also can stack with it in reverse. It uses the hydraulic lift on the tractor. No downpressure but again can add weights to it (you see two in the pics).
    It has a 20hp Onan and hydrostatic drive. I'll probably add a bunch of weight to it. We will use it on light snowfalls for my driveway (has a tight circle in it, a pickup won't even go around the circle much less with a plow down), and also for some residential driveways, primarily in a condo complex with 39 units that my friend got the contract for, but is going to sub most if it out to me if not all. So i will probably drop a guy down there with a shovel or two and the tractor, maybe another guy with the big snowblower as well, then go off with the truck, small snowblower and a couple shovels to do the other residentials and help my buddy on his commercial's.

wheelhorse.jpg

wheelhorse2.jpg

Last edited: Jan 18, 2005
  2. ProEnterprises

ProEnterprises Senior Member
    from CT

eric, if you dont mind, could you explain in a little more detail how you are going to use/mount the winch to lift and lower the plow. i have an electric winch (hooks to batteries) and wanted to mount it to raise and lower the plow on my tractor?

any advice and/or pics?
    thanks, and good luck with olly, post pics of your progress!

3. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

This tractor has 3 quick hitches. They work to attach all Wheel Horse attachments and any of mine. They are simply a bracket of steel that has two vertical peices with slots in them, the slots are open on the bottom. They have a lever that you turn that latches the implements in over the bottom of the slot. Your attachments just attach by having a round bar attached to the hitch of them.
    There is a quick hitch on the back axle, one underneath the engine, and one on the front of the front axle.
    The mower deck mounts to the one under the engine, then the pulley box for the deck belts mounts on the front axle, to guide the belt from the engine down to the mower deck, around the front axle. This is Wheel Horse's design, none others are like that really for the most part.
    The garden tiller mounts to the back axle hitch, then has pulleys that mount on the middle hitch to guide the belt to the tiller.
    My back blade mounts on the back.
    Front blade mounts in the middle, and its' lift winch mounts on the front hitch. The cable just quick connects with snap hook to the blade, so you can take the blade off and have a 1,000# utility winch on front of the tractor for pulling and dragging and the like. The tractor has hydraulic lifts located at the rear of the tractor and one underneath the back of the hood under the frame (lifts the mower deck or other attachments). This way in just a few quick minutes, I can go from a bare tractor to tractor with front and rear plows.

here's some more pics. Let me know if you have more questions. The winch i got from Harbor Freight for like $49. I had it on another application but don't need it for that anymore. They use winches like this on snowplows for 4-wheelers to lift the blades on them. It has a control with a yellow handle, I just wedged it between the side of the tractor and the PTO engagement lever on the right side of the tractor (probably can't miss it). The lift lever for the rear blade is on the left side of the steering wheel, located such as a turn signal lever in a car or truck. The hydrostatic drive lever is on the right of the steering wheel much like a gearshift in an automatic truck. I haven't got the angle lever on the front plow yet to angle it from the seat. I might yet put wings on the front blade, not sure. I put rubber wings on the rear plow (42" blade) that extend it to 64" wide. They are bolted to the curved blade so that gives them added rigidity (besides they are super thick) but they will automatically fold back to compensate for heavier conditions, so in other words that plow will be full width in light snow but if it gets into heavy or deep snow it will automatically fold back the correct amount to compensate!!! Kinda cool huh! I added I think 80# of ballast behind the seat as well. that helps alot.

wh1.jpg

wh3.jpg

wh4.jpg

wh5.jpg

wh6.jpg

4. Toby

Toby Senior Member
    from NY

Eric.... we Both Know the Most important part of a "Tractor" Plow is maneuverability...Otherwise you May as Well be in the Truck.

Your Tracer Plow & Blower was impressive...considering You Fabbed it Yourself....that thing is a Homeowner Toy.

snowblowe.jpg

5. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

i will say wheelhorse makes the best tractors esp the 312-8

6. bolensdriver

bolensdriver Senior Member

No. Bolens is better. Built better. Better in the snow too. I don't even use chains or wheel weights on mine.

7. bolensdriver

bolensdriver Senior Member

LOL, are ya stoned? I don't know why you posted that photo. What is up with it? Why is that wood all over the tractor? Why put a walk-behind snowblower's blower on the front? Waste of wood, snowblower, tractor, and time.... just for a photo.