1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Drive pro won't float

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by calc41, Dec 17, 2013.

1. calc41

calc41 Member

Just got a new Meyer drive pro with a hand held controller. When I hit the down button the plow goes down & the blue float light comes on but it won't float all the way down. I tried to push it down by hand & it won't move. I can check with the dealer tomorrow but need to use it tonight. Thought maybe it was something easy. Thanks

2. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Does the blade not follow the contour of the ground? Or are you just expecting the lift ram to go all the way down as soon as you put it in float? The lift ram will only go down as far as the plow pulls it down. Pushing lift ram down most likely won't move it since you can not apply as much pressure as the weight of the blade does. Try standing on the lift arm while it is in float, if you are young enough. ;) Or try wedging a prybar in lift are and pushing down with that.

3. calc41

calc41 Member

Thanks for getting back to me. It's not following the ground contour. When I would take the plow off the truck I used to be able to push down on lift arm. I'm only 69 but I don't think I could balance myself standing on it. I'll give the pry bar idea a go first.

4. kimber750

What pump do you have?

5. calc41

calc41 Member

I believe it's a 58H if there is such a number

6. tyreese27

tyreese27 Member

loosen the chain that lifts the plow a link or two

7. kimber750

The e58 should have a quill/lower adjustment. Clogged filter can also be a cause. Does plow drop quickly or slowly.

8. calc41

calc41 Member

That's what I was trying to do after I noticed it wasn't going down all the way. I'll try using a pry bar after dinner now that I'm in the house & warming up. Thanks

9. calc41

calc41 Member

The plow seemed to be dropping as fast as it was before. Where is that adjustment if I have to get there?

10. calc41

calc41 Member

This unit is only a few weeks old. I've been doing a lot of plowing the past week & a half. I'm south of Buffalo, NY & we've been getting hammered with a lot of snow. My son lives in Colden, NY & they've gotten over 5' of snow in the last week.

11. tyreese27

tyreese27 Member

Its lot easier if you have a floor jack. Just jack the plow up enough so the chain is loose, adjust and then lower the jack. Nice and simple.

12. kimber750

The side of angle block.

low_3.jpg

13. calc41

calc41 Member

Thanks that will be a lot easier.

14. calc41

calc41 Member

Thanks for the pictures. That doesn't look like too bad a place to get at. I'll try to get the chain a little longer first & go from there. Thanks for all the reply's from everyone. Cal. Thumbs Up

15. kimber750

Adjusting chain is not going to change anything unless the lift ram is bottoming out. Also be careful not to make it too long because if the lift ram can go too far up it will damage the top cap of the pump.

16. calc41

calc41 Member

Thanks for that tip. The more I think about it I think I'll just get the jobs finished tonight & call the dealer in the morning. I haven't made the first payment on this yet & I don't want to do something that might screw up the warranty. Thanks again for all the advice.

17. calc41

calc41 Member

I should have said that When the plow stops going down there's still about 2 1/2" of piston sticking out of the motor & it won't go down any more with me pushing down on it in the float position.

18. JCByrd24

JCByrd24 Senior Member
    from Maine

Try having someone hold the down button while you push it down. My old E-47 is able to be pushed down with one hand (not quickly or easily, but doable). If you can continue pushing down when the down button is pushed but not in float, then you are correct that float is not working. I can't imagine on a new unit that something is binding enough to make it now go down smoothly. I had a bent ram and it would bind to the extent of not floating well but that was on a custom use though and may have gotten over extended.

19. calc41

calc41 Member

Drive Pro Won't float

Well I didn't have time to go to the dealers so I started to look at trying some of the hints. I even got up on the truck & stood with most of my weight on the beam & it still wouldn't float. Had the wife hold the down button too. Started looking at it & I noticed that one of the chain links looked like it was stuck. Got a little pry bar & got the link loose & I was able to push the piston down by hand. The link was binding so hard that it wouldn't let the piston to float. Tied the links together with a wire tie & everything works great. Thanks again for all the info & this one is going in the memory bank & hopefully I'll be able to retrieve it if I ever need it.
    Cal :yow!: