1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

new dodge

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by s. donato, Sep 16, 2012.

1. s. donato

s. donato Senior Member

hey guys i sold my dakota last year for a 2003 f350 diesel... hated it after all the repairs and downtime from that thing it was starting to hurt my full time carpentry business.

so i went out and got myself a dodge again and couldn't be happier :-D

picked up a 2012 ram 1500 express crew cab. now my problem begins. i have my western midweight which is not a recomended plow for the truck... so now i am left looking for something new and trying to sell my midweight :-(

any suggestions?

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

new Ford and Boss v plow.;)

3. s. donato

s. donato Senior Member

thanks GV :p

4. oldbluehairhemi

oldbluehairhemi Senior Member

Glad to see you came back to the right side of the American truck world!

5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

What wheelbase does it have?

6. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Sal,

Good luck with the new dodge. Lightweight plows are out there, and I'm sure someone here can lend you some advice....

other than a 3/4 ton or greater truck with a real plow in it.....:eek:

7. s. donato

s. donato Senior Member

I know I know I Will miss having a 1ton but it just wasn't worth it. I have this ram now and its what I Will be using for atleast the next 4 years.

Basher not sure or the wheel base its actually wider then my f350 and has the best turning radius out of any of my trucks I have had. it is a crew cab with a 5'7" bed(which does kinda suck - but needed the bigger back seat for my daughters car seat to fit right.

I pull an 18' trailer and have no issues with the hemi. nevermind all I plow is driveways. I am not doing commercial lots like most of the guys on here. I am pretty sure a 1/2 ton Will do just fine. I Will say I miss my Dakota and was a mistake to have sold it. That was a great plow truck. I am just hoping to make this truck just as good if not better.

8. Plow More

Plow More Senior Member

superduty with a 7.3l

9. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

10. s. donato

s. donato Senior Member

From hub to hub centers I have 140" but I saw on third site that the crewcabs were excluded from the R

11. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Yeah not with the Hemi. Sorry they have so many footnotes I got the Dodge and Chevy confused:dizzy::dizzy:

All the manufacturers are worried about bowing the long half ton frames.

12. s. donato

s. donato Senior Member

i can understand that. right now i guess i am just toying with the idea of a snowsport HD since it looks like most of my driveways are just some pushes and i have friends with bigger trucks if needed. oh well.

13. Jt13speed

Jt13speed Senior Member

Your midweight should work on that truck! Those plows are only about 600 lbs, your not gonna get much lighter than that for a decent plow. Just my opinion, i would just find a mount for your new truck and be done with it.

14. s. donato

s. donato Senior Member

jt i found out from my dealer they would do it. however i need to do a lift kit b/c i don't have the ground clearance. apperently the 09-13 rams have this issue. not sure what i am going to do now. :-?

15. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Just toss some bilstein 5100's on and put them on the 2.8 setting. You'll get a nicer ride with about 2"lift. They are about $200 for the pair. By the way, the quad cab and crew cab use the same frame hence the shorter bed length.