1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Dodge Pickup truck advice and opinions?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Swampbeast, Feb 11, 2003.

1. Swampbeast

Swampbeast Junior Member
    from Texas

I am looking to buy a Dodge 2003 2500 four door 4X4 with a V-10 Magnum and manuel tranny.
    My question, how reliable are the V-10s?
    What is thier HP and Torque?
    What is their MPG?
    What do they 'feel' like? (really powerful and fast, slow but powerful, etc...)
    What is the Dodge 5 speed manuel tranny like? Is it good?
    I have been a Ford man my whole life, and I decided to go with a Dodge because I wanted to try another brand, just to see what its like. I plan on turning it into an offroad monster. I know the diesel is better, but I dont want the diesel. So, comments, suggestions, and the like are very welcome, and thank you to anyone who replies!

:cool:

2. kipcom

kipcom Senior Member
    from Indiana

Get the Hemi engine OR Diesel...all the specs are at dodge.com

3. Cumminsdude

Cumminsdude Junior Member
    from Texas

The Hemi produces more hp than the v-10. 345 against 315. With only 5.7 L compared to 8.0, it will be a heck of a lot more efficient. Don't know about torque but it can't be too much less.

4. Nozzleman

Nozzleman Senior Member

If your going to get a gasser then I would suggest the Hemi. Unless you plan on towing a very heavy load the Hemi has plenty of power for plowing. Also, why a standard shift. For plowing a automatic is much nicer. Finally, I plow with a 2500 Cummins dodge and that is probably the best combo for plowing, towing, fuel economy and just about everything else. Basically I am saying if you have the money take a hard look at the Cummins because it does not disappoint.

5. wyldman

wyldman Member

If your not going diesel,then get the hemi.

6. Swampbeast

Swampbeast Junior Member
    from Texas

So if I dont get the Cummins, go with the Hemi V-8? I am not going to be using it for plowing (no snow down here on the coast of Texas) it'll be an offroader. This isnt for me, I am going for a hummer, this is for an old friend of mine, he wants something to compete with my hummer I have ordered.
    Thanks for the advice, I will look at the Hemi

7. A.L. Inc.

A.L. Inc. Member

Man, I wish I had that kind of money when I was 21......Mike

8. dillyolboy

dillyolboy Member

The HEMI flat out hauls. You would never guess you are in a 6600 lb. truck. Donuts on dry pavement, etc. :) The mileage is about as dismal as all other big V8 gas engines. :( I've heard somewhere around 13 in mostly city driving. I can't think of any advantages to having a V10. :confused:

9. Nozzleman

Nozzleman Senior Member

If your friend get's a hemi to compete with your hummer he may just kick your hummer right were it hurts.:D

10. Swampbeast

Swampbeast Junior Member
    from Texas

Ah yes, but I plan on taking that POS GM 6.5 liter diesel out of the Hummer, and putting an HO Cummins diesel in there! And since I wont be using it for anything except offroading, some turbos and computer chips are going on there! He he he! But thats going to take awhile, several months!
    Money? The Hummer I am getting from Clarks Trucks, it costs $30,000. Thats about the same as a brand new Dodge pickup, and far less than a brand new Ford F-350, so its not to bad. Also, this is why I have enough money to go buy a play Hummer, the Stock Market. I got into it when I was 16 on my Dads advice, I have made several thousand off of it.
    Once again, thank you everyone for your advice, now I know not to let him get the V-10.

11. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

One more thing,if he is going to work the truck,and carry weight with it,get the 3500single wheel,it isnt much more money,and can carry an additional 1000 lbs legally.If you have a cummins this is important,since a 2500 Ram /cumins 4x4 is about 7000 empty.You need all the legal payoad you can get. The hemi will not weigh that much,but id get the 3500 anyway,guys who have them say they dont ride any firmer that the 2500 either.I thinks its more a marketing move than anythign else.

12. Swampbeast

Swampbeast Junior Member
    from Texas

How much more would that be? (the 3500 over the 2500)
    Also, we both already have heavy duty trucks for towing, I have an F-350 Powerstroke, and he's got a Chevy 3500 dually. These new trucks we are both getting are strictly for cruising the streets looking for babes and for offroad playing, and some hunting. I doubt they will ever be used to tow anything other than a small trailer with two jetskis on it.So we are not looking for heavy haulers.
    But you think he should get the 3500 anyway? I'll tell him that.

13. John DiMartino

I would get the 3500,only becasue its the same truck,with a little better tires(those tires are an option o nthe 2500),and the ability to carry more weight. Guys on the dtr have checked them out,and the brakes,springs,rims,axles,everythign else seems to be the same.The dually has bigger everythign,but the SRW 3500,and 2500 seem to be the same truck.My 2500 is overwight quite abit,so Id get the 3500 if it were me. 3500 just sounds beefier than 2500 also:D :D .More is better ,LOL

14. Swampbeast

Swampbeast Junior Member
    from Texas

Ahh! More is better! Always! Yes! I agree!
    Seriously though, I see what you mean. Thanks.

15. Joey D

Joey D Senior Member

I must be the only one to say get the V10 and the 5 spd. If this truck is for 4 wheeling this is the combo. Stick with the 2500 as you are not after towing or hauling ability and get the steepest gears available.
    Will this truck be lifted?
    I say the V10 for torque as it must have 450ftlbs or so. The Hemi does make great power for it's size but at a much higher 4400rpm peak tq. The 488 will be a great crawler with the NVG4500.

16. Swampbeast

Swampbeast Junior Member
    from Texas

This was kinda what I was thinking in teh first place.
    Yes, it is going to be lifted. Anywhere from 8 inches to 12 inches. Something in that range.
    So for low range crawling, the V-10. Hmmmm

17. Crazygator

Crazygator Member
    from TN

I have built some 4x4 for the same reason and would offer this idea. If you thought your friend will tinker a lot with this truck (and sounds like he and you will) I would get the Hemi. I dont know of too many after market parts that would be bolt on the the V-10. But heck you could find boat loads for the Hemi V-8.

If you are into rock crawling I would think about the manual verses the auto. Of course I am talking very serious steep rock crawling.

If your just after a cool lifted truck that will find a local mud hole every now and then, then either would be ok but I would lean toward the auto for that situation.

And since your going to lift anyway I would stay with the 3/4 over the 1 ton. I dont think he needs to waste any money on something he would never use anyway. Yeah its better for our business, but this is a play toy. Have fun! :D

18. Roger Dodger

Roger Dodger Senior Member
    from nw Pa.

The V10 smokes the hemi - period. Unless you want a revving motor that produces a lower amount of torque early on get the hemi. If you want a grunt motor that produces high torque in the 1200-1800rpm range get the V10. Even the standard Cummins doesn't produce heavy torque until 2000 rpms & up. The HO version is a different matter. The hemi produces 20lb-ft. more torque than the 5.9 gasser did but at a whopping 4200-4400 rpm!!! No thanks. Gas mileage on the V10 isn't all that bad when compared to other gassers. My former 5.9 gasser faired by only 1.5 mpg better than my V10.... same truck pkg. apples to apples. And there are many aftermarket accessories avail for the V10 if one is diligent about searching for them. Mopar Perf. has some and things like the MSD plug wires, K&N, etc. are avail. as well.

19. Nozzleman

Nozzleman Senior Member

Roger Dodger, I just wanted to correct a minor mistake in your above statement. That is, both Cummins whether Standard Output or High Output are at peak tourque at 1400 RPM and they hold it just about to the redline.

20. John DiMartino

Ditto on Nozzlemans post, I have 2 friends with V10's they are strong for gas motors,but in no way does the low end torque match the Cummins. Another thing,graphs dont show is as the road speed increases the V10 peeters out a tad,and it starts to lose its torquey feel,where as the cummins is just getting started,its overcome its weight disadvantage and its turbo is spooled,the increased speed is putting a load on the engine,this is where the Cummins shines,it need a load to perform,roll on both from 60 mph,the HO cummins will pull with the V10 without even downshifting,from 1600.BTw most HO 2d gens dyno at 200-235hp and 485-575 ft lbs(rear wheel)bone stock. The same auto trans is used behind the V10,and diesel,the Cummins engine routinely tears 4th,3rd,and the lockup clutch right out of them due to its low rpm torque where the V10 has much less problems with slipping the tranny.