1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Dodge 4500 / 5500

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by plowmaster07, Aug 26, 2009.

1. plowmaster07

plowmaster07 Senior Member

Hi everyone, I've been looking around at dump trucks 13,500-19,500 GVW range. Im just wondering if anyone has had any experiences with the new Dodge 4500 and 5500? I would be plowing and landscaping with it.

Thoughts?

Aaron

2. wls

wls Senior Member

Good question, I'm interested in a 4500, but to put a rv hauler body on it, hopefully someone here can help us out. If threr like my 3500, should be good. I believe there detuned alittle, little less torque.

3. plowmaster07

Yeah, I believe since they are having to go with the stricter emission requirements, they cant put out the power that they used to. So far my 96 2500 is holding up great with 131,000 on the o.d. So I'd be interested in investigating these trucks.

I see that you're running a blizzard 810, how do you like them?

Aaron

4. wls

wls Senior Member

Blizzard's great plow, but I'm downsizing, getting ready to retire, may put the ford/blizzard up for sale, or trade for a 3/4 ton ford/dodge, perfer diesel, or maybe a good 150/1500.
    but ya, blizzards a super plow.

5. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

They are only detuned slightly to 305Hp instead of 350hp. But its becuase you get an 6spd Asin tranny (180k tranny warranty) not that 68re that comes in personal use trucks. Also keep in mind they are goverend to 72mph I think. But can easily be removed by dealer or a bullydog. So if you want a hauler. You will need to adjust that setting. You wont notice that power difference with that trannys gearing, By far Dodge has the best setup and warranty in the 3500-5500 CC's

6. wls

wls Senior Member

thats not too bad, I usually pull my 5er, about 65/67 mph, that would just about be WO. LOL

7. BigDave12768

Yeah but for passing. It would be nice to hit 80mph every now and then.

8. plowmaster07

Ive started to look at blizzard, and I really like the design, but I think that I would be more interested in the new fisher xls. Only for the reason that it has the lift chain, In case the solenoid craps the bed, you can adjust the chain to get it back to the shop. Plus it has the trip edge, not the trip blade.

Aaron

9. plowmaster07

Its nice to see that they only dropped the power a little bit. The auto isn't a bad idea at all, If I have guys running the manual transmissions, doing landscaping and plowing, I have a lot better chance of having the clutch burn out way to quick. Although the manual trans may be fun to drive... it's only fun when you know how to handle it.

Aaron

10. wls

wls Senior Member

the 94 I have is a 5 speed, before I ever plowed with a stick, I said I never would, but it sort of grows on ya.

11. plowmaster07

I definitely believe it, my next truck will be a stick, but employees driving sticks, sometimes concern me. When it comes time, I'll deal with it.

12. AA+ Landscaping

AA+ Landscaping Senior Member

i got a 5500 last nov. with a 9.5 v plow and 8 ft v box. Plowed last year with it moved snow with no problem. Also i don't know what that guy was talking about with 75mph!! I got to run 15miles on a highway to get salt.It ran 80 to90mph loaded and unloaded with no problem. When its loaded its at 22000lbs.truck plow salter and salt! Truck goes great lots of power.

13. BigDave12768

14. chaos270

chaos270 Junior Member
    from CT

Old thread but the truck I test drove was limited to 75, as mentioned above it has to do with the tires and personally if I get one I will leave the limiter alone.

Loved the truck, was a loaded 5500 Quad Cab, auto w/4.88s, and hydraulic dump. I didn't play with the pto but for power it has more than enough. On wet roads I broke the rears loose accellerating away from two different lights. It rode rough as to be expected but drove like my 3500 maybe even a little better. The exhaust brake helps the juice brakes tremendously its about time and should extend their life. Definitely nicer than the 4500 Top Kick I tried, that was horrible and massive.

15. plowmaster07

Well I think I know what you might be adding to your fleet! Sounds like it's a solid truck.

16. chaos270

chaos270 Junior Member
    from CT

Too bad I can't find anything that fits the bill now. I took the test drives before I bought the house the trucks were everywhere. Just starting to recover from that and now I can't find anything close to what I was looking at. I was excited when the Dodge site had the new 5500's being 2010 models. Now they won't even have the 2500-3500's on the lots till Dec. Next truck might be a new 2500 pickup or even a used one at this point but longterm I need to get something heavier so I don't lose dump payload when towing.

Plowmaster how have you faired in your search?

17. plowmaster07

Got ya, honestly I haven't been seriously searching right now, I want to, but the amount of business doesn't justify a new truck just yet. With the company growth rate, I think that I will be adding a second truck on next year, probably towards the end and hang a plow on it.