Snow Plowing Forum banner

New diesels and plows

2K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Ole Tower 
#1 ·
I am considering changing my fleet of trucks to the new Dodges with cummins power. My question is are the front suspensions strong enough for the weight of the diesel and a western v plow? I was trying to use the western quickmatch it doesn't show anything for the diesel trucks. According to them the only truck I can have a diesel in and run my plows I have already is the Fords.

#2 ·
As far as I'm aware Western does not recommend putting a plow on a Dodge, Quad cab, diesel truck. You can have a diesel, you can have a quad cab but, not both. It over loads the front end and Western does not recommend it for liability reasons.
If you have a fleet of trucks with employees operating them, think what would happen if there where an accident which could be related to front end failure?
I was able to find an installer to do my MVP but previously had a '99 3/4 Ton Quad diesel and at the time could not find anyone to install a Meyers 8 ft steel blade. Local guy kept saying "no" for liability reasons.
The 1 ton I have now hardly squats at all when I lift my MVP. Its not "legal"
but it squats a heck of alot less then other trucks I know which are!
PS: have you looked at Sno-Ways? They offer plows for alot of unconventional purposes.

#3 ·
That makes no sense at all, then why does dodge sell the quad cab diesels with the plow prep packages if they can't handle a plow? I've got 3 2003 quad diesels with 8 foot pro blades on them and have never had a problem, nor have I ever had an installer not do it... Who told you this info?

#4 ·
GMC99;389281 said:
That makes no sense at all, then why does dodge sell the quad cab diesels with the plow prep packages if they can't handle a plow? I've got 3 2003 quad diesels with 8 foot pro blades on them and have never had a problem, nor have I ever had an installer not do it... Who told you this info?
I'd like to see where it says "plow Prep" on your window sticker???? Dodge does not put a plow prep on a diesel b/c all the stuff you pay xtra for in a plow prep is already in a diesel truck. The extra $$$ is not just for the motor itself.
Ya, the local guy who I wanted to give my business to would not install the plow for me. He offered to coach me thru it if I had questions doing it, but would NOT do it himself. On my newer truck I did find a plow installer who had no issues with it. So, I took my business elsewhere. Boy was my local guy pissed when he found out I bought my plow elsewhere! He basically told me to leave and never come back again.

#5 ·
I just looked at my window sticker, it says plow prep package right on there, I can scan it and post if you'd like... A few dealerships in the area are selling brand new diesels with plows on them on the lot.. If it is true that the diesels are not recommended to plow with, Dodge better get their heads out of their asses and do something about it. Are the new 4500 and 5500 trucks plow ready? It would be pretty crappie if there not.

#6 ·
GMC99;389337 said:
I just looked at my window sticker, it says plow prep package right on there, I can scan it and post if you'd like... A few dealerships in the area are selling brand new diesels with plows on them on the lot.. If it is true that the diesels are not recommended to plow with, Dodge better get their heads out of their asses and do something about it. Are the new 4500 and 5500 trucks plow ready? It would be pretty crappie if there not.
Dodge has nothing to do with this. if you see a dodge in the lot with a plow that's the dealers fault. The plow manufacturers are the ones trying to cover there ass. anyone that plows commercially know's a reg cab truck is the best option for plowing. why the heck would you want to plow with a mega cab anyway?? go to the fisher dealer and ask to look at there book, they don't recomend a plow on any 3/4 ton extended cab diesel truck weather it be ford, dodge, chevy. ad up the weight of 6 people and your plow and the diesel. I know your not gonna have anyone plowing with you but that's how they have to figure it by LAW. that's what GVWR is. don't think it's a dodge thing.

#7 ·
also as was said before ALL DODGE DIESELS are "plow ready". all that means is they have heavy duty front end and higher amp alternator(because there diesel) I guess there marketing department decided for the idiots out there that didn't know better they should put plow prep package on the sticker.

#8 ·
all the dodges that I have seen in the dealerships have plow prep installed on them including diesels the only problem that I know of from western is if you have a diesel on a quad cab or regular cab the only plow available in their eyes is a straight blade. as far as ford i'm not 100% sure but I think its the same.I've been looking at buying a new truck and have been looking into what to buy to run the mvp.

#9 ·
I just picked up new Quad Cab Diesel today. Had the 8' Fisher installed by the dealer allready on it. On the window sticker it says"Heavy Duty Plow Prep Group", but if you look it is only an $80 option. Isn't it like $325 on the Hemi's. I believe but could be wrong they are just charging you for the skid plate

#11 ·
haybaler;389347 said:
Dodge has nothing to do with this. if you see a dodge in the lot with a plow that's the dealers fault. The plow manufacturers are the ones trying to cover there ass. anyone that plows commercially know's a reg cab truck is the best option for plowing. why the heck would you want to plow with a mega cab anyway?? go to the fisher dealer and ask to look at there book, they don't recomend a plow on any 3/4 ton extended cab diesel truck weather it be ford, dodge, chevy. ad up the weight of 6 people and your plow and the diesel. I know your not gonna have anyone plowing with you but that's how they have to figure it by LAW. that's what GVWR is. don't think it's a dodge thing.
1st. Well, GMC99, thats a new 1 on me as far as diesels having a plow prep pkg. actually written on the sticker! I guess i better visit my dealership a little more often b/f I go 'spoutin' off!
2. (why I'm posting the quote) Well Haybaler, the answer to why I would even want to have a truck w/ a larger cab is a long 1 but, I'll start typing. My original "99 had an extended cab(the kind w/ the suicide doors). Besides plowing, I also used it to pull a very large camper in summer so, when I bought it I needed the xtra cab for the kids. It was a short bed so it really didn't effect the length of the truck too much. I also liked it b/c I could put my little 2 cycle snowblower rite in back on the floor. So, when I bought the newer truck I figured "well this has an even bigger cab and it'll be even easier to get a bigger snowblower into" WRONG! The stupid door opening is smaller than that of the regular door/suicide door style! So, I'm stuck dropping the salter and loaoding the blower in the back where it bangs around unless you tie it securely and it can get all full of salt spray and block vision. So, Thats why I started withe the extended cab and have been stuck on it ever since. Besides in summer its agreat place to throw blue prints, coats, gloves tools and all the other junk you would worry getting stolen if you just threw it in back.

PS: I love my diesel for plowing-NEVER short on power and NEVER overheats.

#12 ·
New Diesels & Plows?

HI as an OLD GUY! theres some thing Very WRONG! w/ all this Politically Correct & Warantee CRAP! HEY! any One Paying $50,000 for a New 4X4 Diesel TRUCK! that is NOT WARANTEED to install a Plow On? & Plow SNOW? is B/S! as WE SEE & HEAR! the Big Three are in FINANICAL Trouble!! & YEH! I assume SO!--with evey Lot Over-Flowing! w/ NEW Vehicles! here locally One Large new Vehicle Dealer {DARLINGS} just Bought Out BLOUIN DODGE & CHRYLER--Blouins has been here for over 30 yrs--Darlings Profit their Statement--last year!--a POOR Yr?--as Stated by every Car Co I know Of!--DARLINGS made $150 Million Dollars!--last Year!--so by all means!--RUSH right OUT & BUY that New $50,000 New 4x4 Diesel that they Won*t Warrantee if? You want a Plow on IT! are YOU CRAZY? as for $47,000 I*LL Sell YA! a NEW 2-1/2 Ton Freightliner w/ DIESEL & a PLOW & Dump Body & Warrantee the Entire Unit-Simple!! Some Ones? taking YOU for a RIDE! I Dono? about Your Area? but HERE! theres More New Vehicles than there are PEOPLE! ACRES & ACRES of Them--1000s to Choose from!--& theres so Many! a Few? Models I have never Heard of Before?? & Some Makes?? Who In Hell makes That? I Dono?? I think? for $50,000 Dollars for a 4X4 Diesel Pick Up!--any MAKE?? YOU should be Able to install Any Plow You Want! & PLow all the SNOW in AMERICA! or YEARS! w/ NO Problems! as back in the 50s the OLE JEEP plowed SNOW & its a TOY compaired to the 4X4s of TODAY! I bought a DODGE 4X4 Power Wagon & mounted a Plow on IT a 6 Cyl Ole Flathead DODGE pick UP w/ Huge Tires! & Plowed for Yrs w/ IT--a Frigging TANK!--it was NO! Speed DEMON but It Plowed 2 feet as Easy as 3 inches! & never Broke Down!--I even Leveled Gravel w/ IT --FACT IS!! Were being LYED TOO! by all the Vehicle Manufactures! I have to CHUCKEL HERE!-- PEPSI just came Out w/ a New CAN! that has Re-Moved GOD from the Wording --in their ADD! But they Will GLADLY Accept Our MONEY!! that States in GOD WE TRUST!--YEH! Our SOCIETY is SICK! ME I Dono?? as Their FIRED IMUS & I thought?? WE here in AMERICA had FREE SPEACH?--meaning? YOU can SAY what Ever? but Can*t actually HIT any One!--heres a Question for YA! YOU ever Watch RED FOX on Sanford & Son? Hw many Times did RED FOX say ******!! a SLAM agaist All WHITES on every SHOW! & NO ONE Fired HIM!--WE White just LAUGHED! & the Colored RAPPERS? INSULTING Whites in Every BREATH!--I Guess? being OLD I have a Lot Better MEMORY than the Young DO? as Were being SCREWED from All DIRECTIONS & NONE of US Whites are Doing any thing About the BIG Money GUYS! or the Colored INSULTS! to WHITES! POLITIALLY CORRECT & Don*t OFFEND any ONE? MY BUTT!--OleTower--

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.