1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New diesel questions

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by GMC99, Mar 27, 2007.

1. GMC99

GMC99 Senior Member
    from 60188

Can anybody tell me why the new 6.7 cummins is the same horsepower and torque rating as the old 5.9 HO?
  2. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

in short my guess would be because it burns so much cleaner that the bigger displacement is needed to make up the difference compared to the old motor. i think this is what you are asking????? the other answer would be that they need at least the same or more hp on the new motor to compete and sell trucks??
  3. dodgeguy99

dodgeguy99 Senior Member
    from mn

its all the emissions BS that is robbing them of power.
  4. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

EXACTLY! :realmad:
  5. UglyTruck

UglyTruck Senior Member

What vehicle configuration was the new one...the 5.9 was in the auto tranny trucks and the 5.9 HO was in the manual tranny trucks....I do not remember the diff in rated power but there were more horses avail from the factory setup with the manual trans...I have also read several posts on dodgetruckworld that say the new motor has higher "rated" HP when listed with the manual tranny...

also the new emissions laws have a huge effect on the ability to make power.....just like when we went from leaded to unleaded gas....gotta wait for the learning curve to catch up.