1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New diesel owner needs all the advice he can get.

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Willman940, Dec 8, 2011.

1. Willman940

Willman940 Senior Member

Some of you may remember a post I made asking for advice about buying a truck years ago. Well I finally bought a 99 F250. Now to work out the kinks, the check engine light was on when I got it according to the owner because of the super chip. took the super chip off and pulled code P0118 from it, which I thought was a coolant sensor. But upon talking to the dealer they said it's not even a valid code for a 7.3. Anyway I cleared the code, but the light is still on, rescanned and got nothing not even the P0118. This is because of one of 1 things, The Superchip left something tripped or the Bullydog Powerhound which it also had in it when I bought it, though I never used till I got the super chip off. It also could be that the previous owner did an 02 interior swap with an automatic, could that do something? A friend said that the odometer shouldn't work because the 99 is analog and the 02 is digital and those interiors don't match up. The odometer works from what I can tell? If this is the case can I get just a cluster for a 99 and put it in or do I need a full dash? is there and after market option that will work with my current set up?

Another thing is the Bullydog, first, its wired to a generic 3 position switch that apparently comes the kit when bought new. But I don't know what position is what, I know the up position is the +70 and I'm guessing the middle is either nothing or +40 and the bottom is off? From there it goes right into the wiring harness on top of the block. From what I can tell that's what its intended to do. My question is if that is there is there a different harness I would need to go back to stock, from what I hear everything should plug back up but I'm just making.
    I've been contemplating taking it out because most of the trucks I see with chips/mods like this end up breaking a lot, and considering I just bought this I can't afford that. Not to mention I don't need all that power.

I have an appointment to get the computer re-flashed Saturday but if I decide to keep the chip I'll cancel it.

Help please?

Have a great weekend,

John

DSC_00052.jpg

2. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Oh the joys of buying mod'd truck from somebody else. The CEL could be on forever now if they swapped in an 2002 dash and made the truck an automatic from a stick. Something is not jiving with the computer. I hope they didn't hack all those mods.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2011
  3. pooleo8

pooleo8 Senior Member

go out when its cold in the morning, push the fuel pedal to the floor, start the truck and keep it floored for at least 3 min. :D j/k, dont do this.

But, my neigbor did this with his truck. It was a 93 IDI 7.3 non turbo. Every morning, 15* out, just kept the pedal right to the floor! LMAO!!!!

4. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Good advice Thumbs Up

5. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I think my arm would accidentally twitch hitting him with my metal shovel as I walked past for the sake of the truck. :eek:

6. Willman940

Willman940 Senior Member

the truck is still a stick I ran the fun and made sure of that, but the dash is out of an automatic.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2011
  7. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Did you do any research on the code yourself?

8. Willman940

Willman940 Senior Member

Yea P01118 "coolant sensor out of range" check engine light still on with no code after reflash although they did find the same code, but didn't have time to run a full diagnosis

9. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

you could have a bad coolant temp sensor.

and there is a good possibility the bullydog is turning the CEL on too.

they are ok, but there are also way better tuners out there.
    DP tuners is one of them
    even the 60hp econo tune from DP is a 100 times better than a bullydog.

10. Willman940

Willman940 Senior Member

I had thought that too but I removed the bullydog before the reflash.

11. dieselss

more then likley,,its the sensor. should be by the t-stat housing.

12. big_stroker

big_stroker Senior Member

What are you using to pull the codes. You cant use a normal code reader like AutoZone has to pull the codes. It needs to be something like AE or a Snap on to see the correct codes.

My guess is its a ICP out of range because of the junk chip.

13. dally

dally Junior Member

my two cents: get rid of the off the shelf tunes you have in your truck. They are going to cause problems eventually. I suggest going with a custom tuned chip. your shift points will be changed along with many other things to make your truck run a whole lot better. Dp tuner, swamps, tony wildman, Thats just a few of the good tuners

14. Willman940

Willman940 Senior Member

Already took the chips out, and re-flashed. BTW its a 5 speed.

15. Willman940

Willman940 Senior Member

Can anyone tell me where the power lock relay/solenoid is? Mine don't work and the Manuel said listen for the click and I got no click but I can't find it to replace it.

Thanks and have a great weekend,

John

16. dieselss

do you have factory keyless entry?

17. dieselss

Did you ck for pwr and gnd at the drivers switch? I would start there first. Could be chacing ghosts when it could just be switch

18. Willman940

Willman940 Senior Member

has power and ground.

19. dieselss

Then do u have factory keyless entry. Wiring is different

20. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

power lock motor is most likely bad. you need to remove the guts of the door to access it. the power lock motor is on the door latch assembly