1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New D-60 in F-250, done

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by wls, Aug 19, 2006.

1. wls

wls Senior Member

I just got done installing the d-60 in my 1997 f-250, which had a 4600# front axle, I retained the stock springs, and added 1300# front springs, 650 per spring?? Question is, what do I have now, a 5900# front spring rating. The reason I'm asking is that I'm installing a blizzard 810 plow, which weighs about 1000#, and wondering whether to add timbrens or not. I've run 5200# fronts in both dodge and fords with the blizzard on, and put timbrens on. Thanks
  2. timberjack

timberjack Member

I'm afraid i can't speak for what the load rating would be now, your math seems good as any.

I would suggest you head on over to thedieselstop.com, or superdutydiesel.com, and ask some of the guys there about the "60" swap.

I saw the other thread you posted with the pictures. I would think that re-using the springs from your F250 may have been a mistake though. F350 springs are arced the other way, and as well as giving you a couple inches of lift, actually ride smoother than the stock F250 springs. I think your truck is going to ride pretty rough without the plow mounted up. You may even run into trouble with the differential actually hitting the frame during axle articulation, since it's sitting couple inches closer to the frame.

I had an 89 F350 srw with a 9' Western unimount proplow on it, and never had much if any sagging in the raised position, and it rode a lot better (especially empty) than the 95 F250 I use now. I plan to swap the Dana 60, and F350 springs next year.

3. wls

wls Senior Member

It rides alittle rough, not bad on the freeway or blacktop roads, but on the gravel roads, if you hit like a washout hole you know it. I added an 1.5-2.0" lift spring in the back, actually made it ride better, must have shoved some weight frontwards. Also found a broken spring in the drivers side rear. Someone said, to use superduty springs in the front. I need some tube steps, where can a guy get some?

4. mike33

mike33 Senior Member

I would nt ask that question here due to you will get 10 different opions. I would ask a pro at a spring shop.