1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New CV Axles - One Leaking - Now What?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by kbsnow, Aug 1, 2010.

1. kbsnow

kbsnow Senior Member
    from Chicago

I needed to replace both front CV Axle shafts on my wifes ALL-WHEEL drive 98 Explorer. I bought NEW shafts as they were only $10 more each than reman. The driver side took 3 hrs (first one I did), and the psngr took 2 hrs. All went well, and drove on the exprtessway for 30mins and everything is fine. This morning I went out to the garage and the passenger side has a couple drops of gear oil on the floor. I looked underneath and saw that both sides had a bit of oil splatter on teh suspension, but the driver side was not dripping, the passenger side has a few drops. How long should I wait to see if it stops before I pull the axle out. What should I look for? Everything seemed fine, and nothing was torn when I checked out the seals before I inserted the axles.
  2. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

If its gear oil, you have bad- damaged seals on the front differential output. you can weight as long as you want, I've never seen a seal get "better"
  3. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

Not hard to bugger up the seals when doing a shaft. You didn't find a little circular spring laying on the ground did you? It doesn't take much to catch an edge. Unfortunately replacing the seal is re-doing the work you already did.
  4. kbsnow

kbsnow Senior Member
    from Chicago

Well, bought the new seal, a seal puller, and tore it apart today. I saw right away the problem...the old seal had a piece that was sliced and just hanging by a thread.

I told my wife I can only charge her for the FIRST time I tore into it...the second time was a freebie...all she wants is "her baby" back and driveable.

Anyone in Chicagoland need their Explorer CV axles changed...I can do it with my eyes closed now.