1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Cutting Edge

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by F-250 SD, Jan 31, 2011.

1. F-250 SD

F-250 SD Junior Member

I just put a new cutting edge on my Boss Super Duty and was wondering how many of you leave the old edge on underneath? This is my first time trying it, but have seen many do it and they claim it adds some weight to the blade. My only concern is that it may prematurely wear out the lift cylinder. What are your thoughts?

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Without buying longer bolts its not possible. I haven't done it. To me its not worth it. I would just rather just bolt the new one on and be done with it.
  3. jklawn&Plow

jklawn&Plow Senior Member

I was thinking of cutting the center section out of the old edge and mounting extra pieces on each side since this is where it wears the most. I thought having extra material on each edge (to cover two bolts) would help it last a little longer, maybe 1 season. It doesn't seem like it would slow the roll off much and extra weight would help on the 7.5STD back dragging.
  4. F-250 SD

F-250 SD Junior Member

I had to buy new bolts anyway as I snapped 6 of the 8 trying to get the old bolts off. I just got new ones a 1/4 " longer
  5. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

unless you want to add piece's to the ends for riding agianst curb's and it wont make it last much longer .just forget it and put a new edge on you can get boss curb shoes's that work .
  6. jklawn&Plow

jklawn&Plow Senior Member