1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

NEW CUTTING EDGE?? Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Tnlk84, Sep 22, 2009.

1. Tnlk84

Tnlk84 Junior Member

Hey guys I have no experience with snow removal equipment but I came across a snow plow for a fairly good deal which was used, only problem is I want to make sure I deliver a quality job and was wondering if anyone knew a place around Chicago where I can purchase a new 7'6 cutting blade/ edge? Or is there anyone on the forum that would know how to somehow "sharpen" it? I sound like such a new-b:dizzy: but I was wondering if anyone would somehow be able to help me with this. Thanks!

2. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

there are many many places to get you going......You need to help us narrow it down a little....

i'd be happy to give you a crash course on your stuff for a 6 pack of beer....and we can even bolt up the new edge and save you some money.....

e-mail me.......or just go to westerns site and search for a dealer and pay through the nose.

3. Tnlk84

Tnlk84 Junior Member

Ok sure, thanks now I just have to go pick it up. I was kind of skeptical and didnt want to buy it before looking into a new cutting edge. Thanks!!

4. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

5. snowman55

snowman55 PlowSite.com Addict

you have to make sure your edge is filed at 25 degrees use a standard hand file it is easier to do this with the cutting edge off the plow. hope this helps

6. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

You're joking, right?

A hand file on your cutting edge?

Aren't we supposed to be helping newbies?

I realize I'm just a 15 yo girl from Florida who started posting when I was 6, but really, a hand file?

7. GPS

GPS Senior Member
    from MA

LOL

No problem :rolleyes:

You'll be ready by the 2011/2012 snow season. Better get crackin'

Seriously, I hope you know he's kidding. For the love of God, I hope he is, anyway. :dizzy:

8. Tnlk84

Tnlk84 Junior Member

LOL.... I think he's serious, maybe he means a different type of hand file. But even then, I think that would be too tricky trying to get an exact angle by plain sight. you guys recommend using a grinder to sharpen the blade then putting a layer of that Rock Rubber or whatever to put on the blade? Im just concerned about 1) If the blade will last me the whole winter doing a quality job and 2) Try to save money!!!

9. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Are you serious?

You must be kidding.

Helps?

If you are serious then I think you need the help.:dizzy:

10. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Rock Rubber? :confused:

My cutting edges have lasted 3 seasons and they see a lot of action.

11. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

No, he is not serious.

Take Dissociative up on his offer, you need some hands on help.

Good luck!

12. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Some cutting edges are reversible too. Take it off and turn it over for a new edge.
    Depends on plow brand.

13. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

The Fisher XV and X require a 15* bevel due to the steeper 75* scrape angle. I have found it is much faster to put a cutting wheel on the table saw. I knock any burrs down afterward with a 12" ******* cut file. 10 inch is just a bit too short to get a good stroke going.

14. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

a good point. each plows attack angle must be determined before sharpening. Unfortunately B&B and his "perfect is not quite good enough" attitude has rubbed off on me a little and i'm now using a milling machine to get the proper angle to the edge.. I tried the laser cutter but it just wasn't clean enough.

15. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Basher - are you using carbide cutters? Or have the diamond proven to be cost effective?

16. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

New proprietary material that not only cuts quickly but polishes at the same time. Previous methods required both a cutting and a polishing step.

17. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Sounds to me like you should be quite busy after each storm with this service. You'll be wintering in Miami sooner than you thought possible.

18. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Yup, one edge for plowing forwards and the other edge for backdragging, Right????

19. snowman55

snowman55 PlowSite.com Addict

I have found the hand file method gives the best results. using a power unit heats up the high carbon edge too much making it brittle. make sure you are using a file for metal as a wood file will dull quickly. good point some blades require a different bevel 25 degrees is good for my westerns. happy filing

20. Tnlk84

Tnlk84 Junior Member