1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Cutting Edge Prep

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by Brookside, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Brookside

Brookside Member

I just replaced my worn out cutting edge with a new one. It's a Fisher MM1 HD 9'. Interesting that the old edge was 1/2" and the new one is 5/8". I'm plowing a long gravel driveway now, and after a thaw and re-freeze and new snow, the blade is rattling and banging like crazy, even after lowering the shoes to the maximum length.
    I wonder if I should prep the bottom of the new cutting edge with an angle grinder to round off the sharp square edge? Does that make any sense? The concussion that's being transmitted through the frame is pretty severe. I don't like to abuse my truck and plow any more than necessary!

2. PlowboyVT

PlowboyVT Member
    from VT

Roll....shake... rattle. I run it down dry smooth pavement without shoes a few times, but I have ski area access rd. to do this. Go Slow till the blade is worn a little.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  3. 06Sierra

06Sierra PlowSite.com Addict
    from Maine

Mine does it as well. With and without a pipe on the bottom for gravel. I just live with it.

4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Nothing better then a fresh cutting edge. If you want to break it in ,run it down the road ,that will take care of it.

5. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Keep it angled on the gravel, it should help some.

6. Brookside

Brookside Member

I've heard that, good idea...

7. Fords&Fishers

Fords&Fishers Junior Member

I have found that if you have plowed with a cutting edge long enough to wear some off of the trip edge,the added height of the new edge has so much more leverage on the trip springs that it makes the plow dig in and trip the edge like crazy.