1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

new cutting edge on a poly V blade problems!

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Got Diesel?, Dec 2, 2007.

1. Got Diesel?

Got Diesel? Junior Member

Just bought a formed set of cutting edges for my 8'2" poly v bade and have a 1" gap in the middle. Dealer had nothing to add to the subject so I figured I'd put it here.

Bought this blade used and it needed a new cutting edge and it made sense to get the formed edge but I wasn't impressed with the fit, so I bought the regular edge with the plastic horseshoe middle and tore it up in the first few minutes going over a speed bump.

What is the trick to these plows (and the cutting edge) cause I am ready to sell it and get something (blizzard) else!

Thanks guys
  2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I run the formed edges on my boss V.
    The little gap is no big deal.

How big is the gap now with your trashed puck?
  3. Got Diesel?

Well, no trashed puck yet but it is tore up quite a bit. It doesn't leave a gap yet but it does get pulled down enough that it leaves a 6" mark on the ground

I was very unimpressed by the fit of the formed and not knowing how crappy this horseshoe thing was, went with the original set up.

Do they fit better on a steel plow?

4. 92XT

92XT Senior Member

you must wear the new shoe down gently on dry surface before plowing. sure its not pretty looking but it will do the job.
  5. Got Diesel?

6. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

You say you bought this plow used. Maybe its bent a little . The formed edges are a great improvment over the old setup.From day one we were trying to improve the horse hoof setup with our plow.
  7. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

Those new formed edges are great IMO.

I can say this, on my plow that is tweaked there is a gap in the new cutting edge, maybe an inch. A new plow in the vee position shows about a quarter inch gap. My new plow leaves no trail, my old plow left no trail. The angled design in the center will all but eliminate chance of snow trails - if you woulda seen the bend in my other plow, you'd understand.

The new cutting edges last at least twice as long as the old ones.

No hockey puck that will break off in the middle of the night and leave 4" wide trails.

Edge guards that protect the plow edge, you can run right next to sidewalks with no worry.

Cost of two sets of old style edges and two hoofs is what $380?? Cost of a new style cutting edge set is $300. Seems very simple to me....

If you want perfect cutting / scrapping every nite, buy a straight blade and a new cutting edge every 40 hours. And really, the new plows with new edges scrape pretty darn good.
  8. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

A 1" gap isn't going to leave anything and if it does who cares. We had to weld curb guards on our blades because they were getting worn so bad, with the new edges you don't have to worry about that.
  9. jrglandscape

jrglandscape Member

Where can I get them for $300.00, I just got taken for $470.00. The one inch gap in the center is a pain in the butt. It does leave a trail on the fluffy snow. It makes the job look like a rookie is out there plowing. Boss could of done a better job in the design. I ran the old style and a shoe for 3 years no problems what so ever.

They will do the job but not the best.

Eastern Michigan
  10. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

:rolleyes::nod:The formed edge is great for running along the curb.
    If their are worried about that trace amount, you do not want them as a customer.
    A little to anal, what else are they looking for.
    I mean really what does it look like after a hr of use.
    The cars coming in are dripping with salt brine this will be more than enough to melt that trace amount.

I ran our straight blade last night ( flash backs.)and yes in some of our bigger lots It was cleaner than my V and
    (That trace amount was there but the wind blew most of it away.)
    it took me almost twice as long to plow the same accounts that I do with the V.
    I find the trade off is well worth it:nod:
  11. stangman35

stangman35 Senior Member

Mine barely has an 1/8 in gap,I just wish we would get a little bigger snow so I can use the darn thing.
  12. Got Diesel?

OK so it sounds like there may be a issue with my blade, I looked it over very well and cant see anywhere that it could have problems.

Correct me if i'm wrong but the only place to get a gap like that would be on the center pivot where the two mold boards come together.

Has anyone had a problem like this?

You say yours is tweaked, where is it tweaked to get the 1" gap.
  13. droptine

droptine Member

I put the new style edge on my 4 year old poly vee, plowed 4" today, I'm very impressed with the performance of these new cutting edges. No trail left down the middle, no problems. Its a good upgrade in my book.
  14. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

Diesel Dude - One of the many wacks on the blade was a direct hit to a curb right close to the tip of the blade. It pushed the lower tip back and cracked the lowest weld on the center hinge - the "bend" was centered around the smartlock mount on the blade. Hard to describe.

One thing to look at is take the edges off and sight down the lower blade to see if it's straight.

I'm headin out later tonight and will look at our new blades in different positions.
  15. 92XT

92XT Senior Member

3/16 gap here......................wouldnt mind a 1'' though...no biggy
  16. FFD133

FFD133 Senior Member

We just bought and installed the new style edges on one of our 8'2" poly V's and they work great. No trail down the middle. Only thing is you have to grind down the middle of the cutting edges to fit in the middle where the shoe was. Only took about 30 mins to do both edges. Well worth the money. Cost us under $300 for the pair.
  17. Grisi24

Grisi24 Senior Member

I have the same problem I think... It has cracked the hinge on the left wing (it is the lower piece of steel like a half of an inch thick or so)
  18. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

Gris - get the thing rewelded now, and that might not even work. That lower hinge cracks and it's just the begining, mine lasted over a year like that before it tore the others...
  19. Grisi24

Grisi24 Senior Member

Framer - I am working on getting the wing replaced. I am talking with the district BOSS dealer because it is 3 months out of warranty. Welding the piece was my first idea but it is to far bent!
  20. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

Good luck with the warrenty, I don't think it covers things like that.

A welding shop should be able to span the distance with new steel. Look at used Boss plows for sale and every now and then you'll see em with that crack.

The real fix is the new wing and possibly a new hinge pin.