1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New cutting edge @ half price !

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by KCAPXIS, Jan 3, 2009.

1. KCAPXIS

KCAPXIS Senior Member
    from NE PA.

This is a 86-11LP and this is the 5th or 6th edge going on... I learned this from another contractor and would like to share it, We only replace the main (center) cutting edge and then take the old edge cut it shorter and weld it right on top of the new one... then we take come 1/2" plate and weld on top of the wings... on this plow we added a little more steel on the curb guard area... By adding the old edge on top of the new one I feel that it scraps much better and the hole thing lasts 50% longer.

Let me know what you think...

BlazzardCuttingEdge 005.jpg

BlazzardCuttingEdge 001.jpg

BlazzardCuttingEdge 002.jpg

BlazzardCuttingEdge 006.jpg

2. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

Looks good and functional. I do know that the OE main edges are carbon reinforced steel and do get brittle if you weld them so keep an eye on it. Have you tried the winters xtendors for the wings? Really cuts down on the wear.

3. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

that's almost exactly what I was looking to do, in fact thats what I was reading about just now, wondering if anyone had done this. I hadn't thought of putting the long leftover section on the new center, but I was going to cut up the old center to weld over the old wings. Maybe I'll print these pics and bring them with me to my welder (my own little home welder I don't trust for this stuff) to show him.

I can't tell that my edges have ever even been changed, and my plow is older than dirt. I know they haven't been changed since I got it. I don't do any roads or big paved lots, just residentials and half of them are gravel, so I never notice any wear. Would sure be nice not to have to buy the wings too, since Blizzard edges are ridiculously expensive. That's about the only thing I liked better about my Fisher straights, I didn't need to take out a loan to replace a cutting edge.

4. Detroitdan

Just dropped the plow off, the welder talked me out of welding the leftover piece in the center of the new one. He said they've seen it done on big highway plows and it doesn't tend to hold a weld very well with all that weight, but it might be fine on my little plow (hate having my plow called little). Makes sense, it's due to the hardness of the steel cutting edge. Plus it's another 75 lbs on an already heavy plow.
    He said he'd do it if I wanted, but it might pull the weld apart and need to be rewelded a couple times. I think he's just being overly cautious, but that's ok too.

Another thing he pointed out is the possibility of punching new cutting edge mounting holes in the plow, so I could replace them in the future with standard Fisher style edges for cheap money. Seemed like a pretty good idea, but I didn't go for it since this plow might not outlive this cutting edge. Got 5 years out of this set. That's the only good thing about plowing gravel.

5. 4evergreenlawns

4evergreenlawns Senior Member

Well he is right on the money. I tried this early on welding the old both on the front and back of the new. They shatter and get left in the snow. The weld alone is not enough to hold the edge and does not give the same support as the bolts and moldboard.

WOW, If I was getting 5 seasons out of a set of edges I would not even waste my time trying anything. I get about 1 season out of a set of edges. I would be glad to come up with something that will extend that to 2 to 3 seasons.

Your wedler gave you good advice on the welding. As for the putting more holes in your plow to take a different edge. I would pass on that idea.

Ron G.

6. fastjohnny

fastjohnny Senior Member

Me too, welder must not have looked to close at the plow before saying something like that. It's boxed in except for where the sleeve/tube for the edge bolts go.

7. KCAPXIS

KCAPXIS Senior Member
    from NE PA.

Get a good welder

Welding in hardened steel is not a job for just any one.. it helps to have a real welder on staff !! I run 5 Blizzard plows and we will install 5 edges this winter on those 5 plows... by doing the overlay. I am sure it helps.. We are looking at the carbide insert overlay @ &125 x2 per plow would add 250 to the cost and 200 for the edge outch!! $450 + labor would be a good deal if it would last more than one season.

8. Detroitdan

9. Detroitdan

10. lilweeds

My local welder has a waterjet machine for cutting. He can make edges for just about anything, the first one may be as expensive as OEM, but after that it's much cheaper!

11. Detroitdan

waterjets are just about the coolest toy, I mean tool, I have ever seen.

12. lilweeds

It is nice! Amazing the precision cutting ability the thing has. Making cutting edges is easy!

13. fastjohnny

fastjohnny Senior Member

I bet some grinding inside the slide box is in order. When they burned in the plug welds it prob left a protruding puddle inside?

14. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Good thinking........payup