1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Cutting Edge BREAK-IN ??

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by John T, Dec 6, 2006.

1. John T

John T Member

Great website.

Should a New cutting edge be broken in somehow?

My old cutting edge was worn slightly upright on both left & right sides of the edge...
    But the plow sat flat on the ground ...

with the new edge, the left & right touch the ground but the middle is not completely touching (3/16 or so)
    I just put in a new driveway last spring... I'd hate to tear up my driveway getting the plow edge broke in... :nono:

I had a crazy though of running the truck down the road and dropping the blade to kinda wear the edge in a little... before the snow flies..
    The edge is a 5/8 x 6"

I am new to plowing, I recently bought/fabricated an old Fisher conventional w/ 8' HD plow
    on my 95 Ford F350
    I will be using it for my driveway only, maybe a couple neighbors...
  2. LLM Ann Arbor

LLM Ann Arbor Senior Member

Do you run sandpaper over your new razor blades to break them in too?

I think everyones going buggy wanting to drop the blades and push some snow!

I got guys here plowing a half inch of fluff and calling it a plowable event for gods sakes.

Let it Snow before we all lose our minds!!!!!

and our homes!
  3. John T

John T Member

4. Earthscapes

Earthscapes Senior Member
    from WNY

LOL No biggie.

You can break in your edge if you want to, or you could just wait and let it break in as you plow. It will breakin soon enough.
    BUT, if you want to break it in before hand, go out at night on a road with no one around and no potholes. Drop the blade and watch the sparks fly. If you see cops lift it up and drive like he!!

Your right and left edges were worn more, from the plow being angled while plowing. Happens with 90% all plows.
  5. Plowfast9957

Plowfast9957 Senior Member

Welcome to the wonderful world of plowing John. As far as the edge goes you should be fine. The biggest thing i see on there is the brackets on the bottom of your springs are almost worn through. The last guy let the edge wear down to far and they were hitting the ground. If you are just doing your driveway you should be ok but I would keep a good eye on them and think about replacing them.
  6. John T

John T Member

Thanks Bill
    I did notice that.

The last owner had the plow always in the top hole and also the edge was worn...

Looking closely at them, they are still um... OK..
    I will probably do so welding repair on them next summer. along with the little rust hole in the plow blade.
  7. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Last edited: Dec 7, 2006
  8. john95chevy

john95chevy Junior Member

i had the same problem this year with a new blade and i fixed it by making some sparks down smooth roads.
    ps it took quite a while to do it probally at least 5 miles