1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New cutting edge Boss 8.5

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by flykelley, Nov 22, 2009.

1. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Hi Guys
    I just installed a new cutting edge on my Boss 8.5 straight. I bought it from Ebling over in Western Mi, who happen to be great people to deal with. Sent it to Flint on one of his trucks that was headed my way and didn't charge me for shipping just had to meet his driver in Flint at Monroes. Any way do any of you dress a new blade by driving down the road and dropping it to form a edge? I have heard of some people doing this and I have a new stretch of cement road not too far from me with no sewers in the roadway.

Thanks Mike

2. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

I never have done that with any of my plows. It won't take but 1 morning of plowing the first time of the season and you'll be good to go.

3. GatorDL55

GatorDL55 Senior Member

Just make sure that the first time you drop it that you aren't at a customers brand new driveway. Could leave black marks from the paint scraping off.

4. flykelley

Hi Gator
    This truck does all commercial work, just bought a Jeep for driveways!

Mike

5. GatorDL55

GatorDL55 Senior Member

Nice buy - Jeeps are driveway machines. it's nice to be able to turn around easily in a driveway if you need to.

6. flykelley

Yea thats why I bought it, I have some driveways that are either a circle or a courtyard at the end and its a ***** with a full size truck. Plus it gives me a back up truck just in case.

Mike

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

How thick of an edge are you running Mike?

If it's a standard 1/2" edge the first couple uses will take the green off it. But if it's thicker I like to do a trip down the street for a good starter, the commercial work will take care of the final finish.

8. flykelley

Hey B&B its a 3/4 steel bit of a challenge installing it by myself. Damn thing is heavy!

Mike

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Why 3/4" Mike? Having premature wear issues? 5/8" holds up for a long time without the additional weight.

10. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

3/4" WOW! That's some pretty thick steel. I thought my 1/2" by 8' by 8" for my back blade was heavy.

11. flykelley

No premature wear, the blade I took off was the was that came on the plow when I bought it new. It wore well until I started plowing a sub last year. This year I have even a bigger sub, plus it never back blade for crap. Im hoping the extra weight will help the back blading and the extra thickness sure cant hurt the wear time. I paid $300.00 for it, and Mark O has bought many blades from these guys and swears by them, so I thought I would try them out.

Mike