1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Customers

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by StableP, Sep 14, 2004.

1. StableP

StableP Junior Member

Was going on folksm great site

I an new to plowing just bought my trucks plow and blowers have a three man crew now me and a couple friends. and i cant seem no matter how hard i try to customers calling and signing up on a regular basis. I've sent out flyers and have a website but still no customers. can anyone advise me on the best way of wrangling in more customers thank you

Stable Snow Plowing Co.
    Madison WI

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Now just lean back by the phone and wait. Don't get so anxious the first year that you take on too much, too far or for too little (trying to just get customers). I keep getting new customers every year in January.

3. Joelinnh

Joelinnh Junior Member

Same here its still not snowing. Dont sweat it. 50% of the customers you get the first year you will not want the second year. No right now is thinking of snow. If your doing homeowners they dont come till late Oct or Nov. Next year at this time sent a letter to the customers you want to keep to remind them snow is coming and to sign up. dont worry you will get customers

4. Joelinnh

Joelinnh Junior Member

whats your site anyway

5. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

It has to snow before a home owner will call. Commercial accounts tend to get signed up earlier.
    If you do not have patents then this is not the business you need to be in.

6. snoluvr

snoluvr Senior Member
    from RI

StableP: I started making calls for previous customers in August. I followed up with another call in the last few weeks and have already been given contracts signed. Never to early to start. I cold call and walk right into facilities. My main business has me conducting cold calls every day so I don't mind. Many administrators and management offices were happy to see somebody out early and not waiting until fall. Out of 6 cold calls I made I now have 5 new acounts. Just keep making calls and follow up, it is a numbers game.You make enough calls you will get the business.

7. BIG M

BIG M Member

Don't sweat it just yet.
    As soon as the snow falls thats when the residentials panic and will call you.
    Cold calls work well and flyers too, they just need time.
    Also you can try to hook up with a lawnguy who doesn't offer snowplowing.
    Good luck

8. Makndust

Makndust Senior Member

I agree, no one is thinking about snow right now. I don't bother much right now. When we do get a snow I just handle the calls on a first come first serve basis. If it was someone that I spoke to earlier about plowing and they turned me down then the price goes way up. I flat tell them that I take care on my clientel first then the calls afterwards and I don't put out fires cheap. I also suggest that if I can put them on my list that I may be able to give them a little break. The one thing that I have learned in the last 6 years is that you don't want the ones that won't make a return commitment to you.

9. JRDabs

JRDabs Junior Member

What type of work are you pursuing? Commercial, Industrial, Retail, Residential? Each business sector you pursue can have a different approach and different points of contact.

As most folks have quoted .....hang tight...your phone should be ringing off the hook shortly.

Good Luck

10. Rhinohd

Rhinohd Member

Be carefull with the cold calling. If you call someone on the "National Do Not Call List" and they report you it's an $11,000 fine per incident.

11. snoluvr

snoluvr Senior Member
    from RI

Cold calling is best done face to face by visiting, not with the phone. I find it hard to think any commercial customers are on that list..

12. Rhinohd

Rhinohd Member

You're correct. Business are not protected by the ACT. Only residential.