1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

new customers??

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by zipp5, Oct 31, 2003.

1. zipp5

zipp5 Junior Member

Hi, I'm new to the site and did some looking around and this IS the best site for information that I have found so far. I do have a question though (yes I did look it up in the search but found no related topics). This is my 2nd year plowing snow for res. and comm. How do you acquire more customers?? Me and my father in law:dizzy: did his landscape customers last year. This year I am on my own:D He no longer wants to help. I still have his customers, but am looking to expand my base of operations. To give a little info on the customers, there are 10 that need plowing at 2"+ to get to work, the others (about 6 are old do not drive anyway and could care less, so he runs a snowblower over the walkways.) I have already placed and sent about 100 fliers to "perspective" customers. No snow so no calls:( Is there anything that I am missing. I have to work.

2. BWinkel

BWinkel Senior Member

We have had good luck running an ad in the local paper. (Display ad in the Business Services section.) We run it for the entire season even though our routes are almost full. We only take customers within our established route. We've been able to tighten up our route as well by taking new customers and dropping others at the end of the season.

3. zipp5

zipp5 Junior Member

Thanks for your reply. How soon do you start the ad? Nov.1 or in Oct.? I don't want to get too anxious. Last week I checked the local papers for ads in the Bus. Section, but found none. Went to place an ad and the paper did not have a section for snow services/plowing or snow management too much $$$ to start a new section. What section did you place the ad. Snow or lawn/landscape management? Thanks again:waving:

4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Around here, we have a local shopper type of paper that worked best when I started. Also put up a card at the local convenience store. Put your ad in the "Services" section if there is one.

5. BWinkel

BWinkel Senior Member

We start the ad Oct 1 and run it until March 15. The paper gives me a price break if I pay for the whole season up front. We get quite a few calls early in Oct. Then it's usually quiet until the first snow. Around late Feb - early March we'll get calls from the people who went with the lowballers with the broken down trucks. We turn down alot more than we take, but we get a few good ones along the way. I usually try to refer the ones we turn down - better business than just saying no.

6. irocz600hp

irocz600hp Member

lost hydraulics

I have the old belt driven system. my plow was anglinling fine and raising slow so i reved the motor and raised the plow and lost every thing no more angling no up and down.i just got done installing everything.what could be the problem.

7. Snoworks

Snoworks Senior Member

Zippy5 - I have had the best responses, when we hand out fliers. We average around 10% call backs from our hand outs. I would stick with fliers, all other methods have cost alot of $'s with very poor results.

Now that we have a good customers base, we have switched to direct mailing.

Chuck B.