1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New customer Break open driveway

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by jonw440, Jan 24, 2005.

1. jonw440

jonw440 Senior Member

A "potential" customer called me for an estimate. The driveway is 80' long, double wide and paved. There is no garage so it's a straight push. It has 16" of crusted snow. I said $50 to open it up and 35 for everytime after.
    I normally charge 25-40.
    She didn't call back.
    Am I overcharging for this?
    I dint understand some people. They think we are doing them a favorer but dont want to pay for it.
  2. Ben

Ben Member

Price sounds pretty resonable to me. She still may call back.

MIAWPUKEK Senior Member

you're not alone

You're not alone on that one my friend. I had one lady call me wanted her fast food takeout parking lot done, I told her $ 30.00 (big snow fall + big area). I usually charge 15 - 20 dollars. "too much" she said. Another time, after a big snowfall, this guy calls me and he had 4-5 foot drifts in his driveway, took me over an hour to finally bust through it. Charged him around $35.00 Never called me anymore, heard later, I "charges too much" *L* What would you rather do, 35.00 and stay inside, or shovel and heart attack.
  4. IA snoman

IA snoman Senior Member
    from Ia

I had a property that I took care of that was sold this last summer. THe new owner asked me to mow for him since he still had his other house in town and no mower at that property. So I did that 2 or 3 times and then on our first big snow I saw them out shoveling the driveway. I went over to them asking if they wanted any help and I find out that he is worried that someone with a blade MIGHT tear up the grass! Then he told me that there was a crack in the asphalt and he thought a blade did it (meaning me). He also thought the blade would make crack worse. Told him that I couldn't guarantee that something wouldn't happen but I was pretty sure nothing would. So they call me the next night on our second day of big snow to do the driveway. Found out they spent 3 hours shoveling the drive the night before and they wanted me to do it. Charged them $25 for the drive. He came out and said it looked ok. A week later he told me that I caught a little bit of grass :cry: FOR crying out loud, there was 10 inches on the ground. 3 hours of work for 25 bucks sounds cheap to me. I think that I am going to set him straight or tell him to take a hike. Another funny part was last summer when he moved in. He had his neighbor over mowing the yard for him because the previous owner let it get out of hand before they took posession. THe neighbor that was mowing is my client that I mow for. :confused: What is going on with the world today.

Sorry so long